Rinsing bottles after sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
In Papizians book he says to rinse your bottles and carboys with hot water AFTER you sanitizethem.

Does this defeat the purpose of sanitation?

It might. Not entirely...but it just might compromise the sanitation. I rinse the starsan foam out my carboys simply because if I don't, it foams over at the end. Bottles, I don't. But here's the thing...it all depends on what Papazian was using as a sanitizer when he wrote that. If you're using bleach, like I used to do, then yes, rinsing is, um, a good idea.

How do you all feel about baking bottles? Id like to do that so I can store them sanitized and not have to worry when bottling.

Papizian was using bleach.

I use chlorine to santitize my bottles and "rinse" them by running them thru a wash cycle in my dishwasher without detergent. The bottles are rinsed and heat santitized. Never had any problems in 5 years.

Dr malt

I just rinse mine with cold water from the tap. I've never had an ounce of trouble, knock on wood. Our tap water is pretty chlorinated, though, so that might help.

In his book, Papazian uses bleach to sanitize everything. If you use bleach, it is imperative that you rinse very throughly or you can get some nasty off flavors in your beer. From my understanding, it takes very little chlorine to give beer a bad taste.
A good reason to use no rinse sanitizers. :mug:

BrooZer said:
How do you all feel about baking bottles? Id like to do that so I can store them sanitized and not have to worry when bottling.

Papizian was using bleach.

Baking would be fine, I suppose, but I would NOT, under any circumstances trust this sanitation to last for any long period of time (well, unless I was storing them in a sterile lab environment, which I suppose you are not). Baking the bottles kills the baddies that are on/in the bottles already...but it doesn't prevent them from coming back later.

Dr Malt said:
I use chlorine to santitize my bottles and "rinse" them by running them thru a wash cycle in my dishwasher without detergent. The bottles are rinsed and heat santitized. Never had any problems in 5 years.

Dr malt

DO you have Jet Dry in your washer, does that effect anything?

Evan! said:
Baking would be fine, I suppose, but I would NOT, under any circumstances trust this sanitation to last for any long period of time (well, unless I was storing them in a sterile lab environment, which I suppose you are not). Baking the bottles kills the baddies that are on/in the bottles already...but it doesn't prevent them from coming back later.

John Palmer talks about covering the bottles with tin-foil caps while storing to keep them sanitized.

Think that would do it?

BrooZer said:
John Palmer talks about covering the bottles with tin-foil caps while storing to keep them sanitized.

Think that would do it?

It would probably work, providing nothing was on the aluminum foil in the first place. I supposed you could sanitize that, but hell, by the time you go through all this rigmarole...you're better off just dropping your bottles into a starsan solution right before you bottle. If you're concerned about the minute amount of no-rinse sanitizer that gets left in the bottles, get a drain tree. I don't worry about it, and it's never given me problems. It's just so much easier...I really don't know why you'd bother with the other stuff. And it's not like Star San is expensive. I got a big bottle of it for $15, and since I reuse the solution over and over again, I still have probably 3/4 of the bottle left, and I've been using it for 2 or 3 months.

I just use Starsan and a bottle tree w/squirt nozzle. it takes about five minutes. Sanitizing is so easy it's not even an issue anymore. I can concentrate on more important things, like making good beer!

Back