Homebrewing in Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeble

Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to delve into the addiction of homebrewing that lives in Alabama

I know it is "illegal" to homebrew in Alabama, but I have heard rumors of 3 or 4 shops that still sell ingredients in the state.

If anyone knows the location of these places or can help me out as far as the best place to order products from without getting killed on shipping costs for the state of Alabama, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you do not want to post them on here, I am open to PM's

Wow thanks

I google searched Homebrew in Alabama, and received a huge amount of legal messages and bills that were passed

I don't think they do mail order or Internet, but if your friend is near Huntsville he can try Pearly Gates, a health food store on South Memorial Parkway. They carry a decent selection but prices aren't the best. They have a good balance between wine and beer supplies. Werner's is more geared toward winemaking although they do have some beer stuff.

Tell your friend not to worry. If bank robbery were as "illegal" as homebrewing in Alabama, banks would hand out gunnysacks and ski masks as you came in the door. :D

Well he lives in Birmingham, so I am trying to find him a place close to that.

The first shop posted looks promising, the ALABREW place, so I called him and told him to check that out.

Personally I like getting my ingredients local, and support the local shops which usually have local homebrew clubs, over the internet based places, which is why I told him to check out the one locally

I have a friend that wants to delve into the addiction of homebrewing that lives in Alabama

I know it is "illegal" to homebrew in Alabama, but I have heard rumors of 3 or 4 shops that still sell ingredients in the state.

If anyone knows the location of these places or can help me out as far as the best place to order products from without getting killed on shipping costs for the state of Alabama, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you do not want to post them on here, I am open to PM's

I personally know the Alabrew owner(s) - they are good people. If you want to talk brewing in AL -PM me - I live in Birmingham.

I bet it's the same as it is here. It's not recognized, so it defaults to federal law of being legal. Doesn't Federal law override any state law anyway? Like Marijuana, states can say it's legal, but the Feds say no. Right?

I have to second Alabrew. If you shoot them an email the day before you need your ingredients, they'll have them ready for you to pick up (double check their hours first).

Barring shopping local, I would look at Brewmasters Warehouse, they'll deliver right to your door.

One of these days, homebrewing will be legal here, and we'll be able to try our hand at actually brewing instead of just reading about it all of the time. Yeah.

I bet it's the same as it is here. It's not recognized, so it defaults to federal law of being legal. Doesn't Federal law override any state law anyway? Like Marijuana, states can say it's legal, but the Feds say no. Right?

Doesn't work that way. Homebrewing isn't a guaranteed right at the national level, so states are free to restrict it however they please. Laws can be more restrictive at the local level, just not more permissive. In this case, Alabama specifically has a law against production of alcohol without a license, which would include homebrewing.

There has been a push to get home brewing legalized in Alabama. The brew club I'm in has been working on getting a sponsor in both the house and senate. However, from what I've witnessed Alabama politicians are quick to abuse the filibuster and a few bible beaters see it as their job to keep any pro-alcohol legislation from passing.

In short, tell your friend to get involved.

Back