Anyone tackled Rauchbier before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
Hello,

I am researching and creating a PM or AG rauchbier recipe. I read that step mashing as opposed to single infusion mash works better for the Rachbier ingredients. Has anyone tried to make rauchbier? how much smoked grain vs. non-smoked grain? have any pointers? I am looking for a strong smoky flavor and exceptional creaminess. thanks in advance.

Who told you that step mashing "works better"? Did they give a reason? I can't see why that would be the case.

You can use up to 100% bamberg (smoked) malt, but it's a matter of taste. For a first-timer looking for a "strong" smoky flavor (pretty subjective...), I'd start with ~70% smoked malt. For "exceptional creaminess", I'd just put some flaked barley in the mash.

A good recipe would be
98-99% Rauch malt
1-2% Carafa II
Noble hops @ 60 minutes for 20-30 IBU's
And while a German Lager yeast woud be correct, I have used S-05 with good results when fermented about 62-63
A single infusion mash also works fine

Edit
a little flaked barley wouldn't hurt

Who told you that step mashing "works better"? Did they give a reason? I can't see why that would be the case.

I had been reading some recipes online that call for a 30 min mash in the 130's, then either (1)pulling a decoction for 30 min at boiling temps then adding it back in or (2)slowly raise the temp of the main mash to the high 150's for 30 min, followed by a mash out. i assume that the step mash is called for because the gains may be undermotified??? :confused: Thanks for the help.

I had been reading some recipes online that call for a 30 min mash in the 130's, then either (1)pulling a decoction for 30 min at boiling temps then adding it back in or (2)slowly raise the temp of the main mash to the high 150's for 30 min, followed by a mash out. i assume that the step mash is called for because the gains may be undermotified??? :confused: Thanks for the help.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that homebrewers like adding complexity to their brew process. I too am guilty of this to a degree.

Often these brewers eventually have an epiphany (or a breakdown) and start trying simpler recipes, or SMaSH brews...and find that their beer is just as good, with less effort.

Not that there's anything wrong with step mashes, acid rests or decoction mashes......just that our inner brew geek tends to get out of control sometimes :)

Thanks for the input. I have just finished building a 10 gallon mash tun from a Gott cooler (thanks to flyguy for the instructions!). I would like to keep it simple and stick to single infusion mashes. I’m glad to hear that the step mash or decoction is unnecessary. Rauchbier is very, very hard to find here in the WV panhandle. one of my first extract batches was a clone of Alaskan smoked porter, and it was great. The only thing I’d change is upping the smoke flavor and mouth feel. I prefer a thick viscous beer when I think about smokiness, chewy almost. and I’d want to up the smoke flavor 2 or 3 fold also. I would like to make a light base style to, probably marzen. I think I will use between 70 -100% smoked malts, add some flaked barley and use a liquid marzen yeast. i will lager the beer for a month in my kegerator (38 degrees). Oh and this will be my first AG beer.

i assume that the step mash is called for because the gains may be undermotified??? :confused: Thanks for the help.

It's probably more just the preference of that person making the recipe. True, most grains we've got now don't need a protein rest....you'll get similar effeciencies if you just mash at 153. I personally like doing 2 steps for most my recipes simply to insure an absolute mash temp. I've found that no matter how much a mix my strike water with grain, the temp always fluctuates a few degrees for a few minutes as the temperature concentrations are settling. So I like to first shoot for 135 for a few minutes, and then I take it up to the actual mash temp.

I used 80% rauchmalt in my last recipe and it came out fantastic - though it had to age for a couple months before it was prime. Very smokey

I used 25% smoke and it was good, but not smokey enough for me. Much more accessible, though, for others who have not enjoyed a Schlenkerla. I agree with others here: go 100% smoke for base grain, then add carapils/dextrine or such for body.

I lagered with Wyeast Bavarian Lager #2206.

How would wood aging affect a Rauchbier? I'm specifically planning a sort of modified rauchbier using a Cali common as the base.

I don't know but once my rauchbier's done in the primary im going to age mine on some oak. Got two more days until I lager it!

Back