Newcastle Bombshell, Pale Blonde Ale - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDFarmer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just stumbled across a "Newcastle Bombshell" they call a "Pale Blond Ale" and I'm blown away. It is like a Bass without all the water and whole lot of other better flavors. Maybe a Bass on steroids? Or???

I have been a hop head and got my habit under control when I noticed my teeth were turning green from all the hops. My own personal opinion is this portion of the industry has gone over the edge. I discovered a Schlagel Urguel with the floral Saaz hops, very good... but I digress.

I had never seen this beer. Is it their "Summer" beer? Not really partial to their "Brown" but this is a serious departure from their "Brown." Really surprised me...

What I want to do is reproduce/clone it. I think the market bought an end of year/season close out (great price) and since the store is 3.5 hrs away and I won't be back there for a month I will have to make an all grain batch.

You may be able to tell I have no experience with "Blondes." I have no experience even drinking them so without a reference I could surely brew until the cows come home (I live in cattle country) before I even come close.

Is there someone or someones out there that can get me started. It seems to taste like a hoppy, malty Bass... or??

It is exactly what I am looking for...

Thanks, Ken

100% marris otter

Mash at 152-154
Use more cacl over gypsum to a target mash ph of 5.2/5.3

25 ibu

Finishing hops a mix of cascade, hallertau mittlefrau, and northdown. If you cant get northdown use challlenger. Id use 1.5 to 2.5 oz total at knockout. It depends on your water, mine is very soft. A modest to moderate amount of hops for you.

The newcastle yeast i think is available. wlp038 or through mangrove jacks.

Thats my guess.

Back