Forgot to tighten the lids on a few.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
OOPS!?!? I think I might have had too many brews while bottling the last batch. I bottled in new 20 oz PET bottles and somehow forgot to tighten a few of the lids all the way. I was wondering if they would still be ok. the lids were on half way but not tight. It was bottled two days ago and covered in a box. it is also my raspberry wheat. YUMMY. or should I just count them as dead soldiers????

I'd go ahead and tighten them down. The odds that something nasty crawled/flew up through the threads and into your brew is low. Also, the bottling fermentation doesn't start immediately and you probably still have some less to go. Hopefully you only lost a bit of carbonation and didn't get any infections.

I wouldn't bury those soldiers yet.

You should also somehow mark the bottles that you just now tightened, so you can compare them to the others later. Then report back with your findings for future reference.... :)

After you tighten them, give them a week or (preferably) two weeks to carbonate (at 65-70 degrees or so). Try one of the re-tightened bottles. If it is carbonated to your liking, all is well. If not, you might want to open and re-prime the other retightened bottles (1 tsp priming sugar per bottle).

Back