Dry Hop Sanitization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to dry hop here in a couple of days. I looked through 2 of my books and I searched here also for the answer. I haven't found anything yet. So, does anyone here Sanitize the Hops prior to Dry Hopping? If so, How?

RLinNH said:
Going to dry hop here in a couple of days. I looked through 2 of my books and I searched here also for the answer. I haven't found anything yet. So, does anyone here Sanitize the Hops prior to Dry Hopping? If so, How?
I never have. Just open the hops right prior to the dry hop if they're individualy packaged (by the ounce).

I buy in bulk and keep the extra clipped tight in the original package in my chiller.

Just drop em in. Hops are a natural preservative with high acidity so unless they got wet and mildewy...they should be fine.

Now...if you're going to use a grain back or other gizmo to dry hop...of course those things need to be sanitized.

Thanks for the replies. I have about 3/4 oz. of Plugs left from my Brew Session of an APA on Saturday that I'd like to use up when I rack into the secondary.

I read somewhere that because you're putting them into alcohol (i.e: secondary fermenter), or better yet, fully fermented beer, that they need not be sanitized.

Actually, hops have tremendous anti-bacterial properties and can be used for disease control in poultry.

Back