Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"When I hear wheat beer I think really hoppy"

"I want to make a blood orange, espresso, sour stout!" said by someone who bought 2 recipes worth of grain without a mash tun or ANY equipment outside of a pot and a couple carboys. He was also under the impression it would only take a couple hours to brew...and I DID try to help...

"Ales and stouts..." about a million times

You've never drank with me after a ****ty day at work. I promise the sarcasm can bring rain.

On topic: At a birthday party last weekend, my uncle proclaimed that he hates lagers. His favorite beer is Heineken. After informing him that is in fact, a lager, he (uncapable of being wrong), told me, "Oh, I mean the dark lagers."

Yesterday, I gave my father-in-law a pint of my new ESB. I personally think this is one of the two best beers I've brewed. It turned out excellent. Anyway, he takes a sip. When I look again, and he's doing his best to chug it away with, no ****, a bitter beer face. He could have been in a commercial. So, my mother-in-law takes a sip, and then she does her best bitter beer face! Of course, she follows that up with, "Goombah (my wife's, sister's boyfriend) brewed a beer once, and it turned out pretty good."

Awesome. This schmuck brewed a beer out of a kit, and now all I'm going to hear for the rest of my life is how Goombah brews such good beer. Much better than 'ol Barley Bob's.

So my father-in-law says, "I like a good pils... or a honey wheat... or Leinenkugel's berry-weisse." :smack: I guess I should have given them a glass of raspberry syrup.

Disclosure: Okay, you got me his name isn't Goombah. That's just my opinion of the guy.

Part II:

So, my in-laws came over again this weekend (how do I get so lucky) following an Oktoberfest party they hosted the previous weekend. So, my father-in-law brings some leftover beer for me. How nice. Good beer he says (I think that shot was fired my way). So, he gives me two sixers - one filled with Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, and the other mixed with Berghoff. Here's the crux of the problem - what do you call a guy who likes crap beer and great beer equally? I can understand someone who drinks Leinenkugel's berry-weisse, and I can understand someone who drinks German Oktoberfests, but I can't understand someone who likes them the same. It makes me hurt physically.

Part II:

So, my in-laws came over again this weekend (how do I get so lucky) following an Oktoberfest party they hosted the previous weekend. So, my father-in-law brings some leftover beer for me. How nice. Good beer he says (I think that shot was fired my way). So, he gives me two sixers - one filled with Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, and the other mixed with Berghoff. Here's the crux of the problem - what do you call a guy who likes crap beer and great beer equally? I can understand someone who drinks Leinenkugel's berry-weisse, and I can understand someone who drinks German Oktoberfests, but I can't understand someone who likes them the same. It makes me hurt physically.

The problem is not with the beer, it is with your interpretation of what "crap" beer is. Your father in law just has a wide pallet. :mug: There is no crime in a person liking Milwaulkies Best Light and Saranac Pale Ale............ Yet! :rockin: However, We should lobby congress or something. ;)

Surprisingly, no. I'm usually sarcastic to a fault due to my work environment. None at all in my post. Should I interject some? Granted I haven't tried every beer on the board, but I saw no problem personally with the board. If others saw it to be incorrect or funny, fill me in. I want to laugh too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The problem is not with the beer, it is with your interpretation of what "crap" beer is. Your father in law just has a wide pallet. :mug: There is no crime in a person liking Milwaulkies Best Light and Saranac Pale Ale............ Yet! :rockin: However, We should lobby congress or something. ;)

Brew-curious?

(Sorry if that offends anyone, it is a South Park joke)

Surprisingly, no. I'm usually sarcastic to a fault due to my work environment. None at all in my post. Should I interject some? Granted I haven't tried every beer on the board, but I saw no problem personally with the board. If others saw it to be incorrect or funny, fill me in. I want to laugh too.

Well...IPA is an ale. That's what the "A" stands for.

"How much corn and rice do you use?" Not a bad question in and of itself, but coming from a homebrew "expert" I was flabbergasted when he said as if it was a fact: "all beer is made with corn and rice".

"I can't stand Lagers" - Takes a big drink of his Bud Light.

"Anheuser-Busch is killing craft brew, I have boycotted them!" - Orders a Rolling Rock.

This! There's only two beers I refuse to drink: Bud Lite and Milwaukee's Best Lite. I am completely fine with Budweiser, and still enjoy any craft beer put in front of me.

Saranac pale isn't that bad. It's the mediocre beer you get when it's either that or BMC. Or when you feel like being cheap and get the variety pack.

The pumpkin or Christmas ales though....that's a different story. Woof

I would hate to see an ipa on an ale list. Nothing alike. What's the problem?

Well...IPA is an ale. That's what the "A" stands for.

I was a little confused by this statement as well? :confused:

I don't see a problem with having them being in two different categories though. In that context, I just see it as a catch-all for "other" ales that don't fit in the "IPA", "Wheat", etc categories.

I don't see a problem with having them being in two different categories though. In that context, I just see it as a catch-all for "other" ales that don't fit in the "IPA", "Wheat", etc categories.

That's what I was saying. They should be in two lists. Not that ipa isn't an ale, but it is a very distinct style that needs to be distinguished. Their ale category should probably say pale ales and everybody would be happy here.

That's what I was saying. They should be in two lists. Not that ipa isn't an ale, but it is a very distinct style that needs to be distinguished. Their ale category should probably say pale ales and everybody would be happy here.

Thats our point! ;)

Exactly. Make the other category say "Other Ales" and we're all happy. :mug:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413309654.981789.jpg

Waitress brought me a beer on the house because this one "foamed weird".

What was that beer, with that horrendous, terrible, weird foam?

Sierra Nevada IPA - I go to this place once a week to chill out after work. The beer is hardly ever served chilled at all and is usually on the verge of being flat. What an anomaly...

Billy-Klubb, I have to tell you: I'm teaching a Homebrewing class at a local community college, and on the last week (in two weeks) we're doing tasting and evaluation. Your Bud Lite tasting is going to get us off on the right foot! Thanks buddy!

So, the opossum that eats my trash has a wide pallet - it's as likely to eat barbecue ribs as it is to eat moldy spaghetti.

There's a problem when, after tasting a beer you don't like, you throw out pils, honey wheat, and Leinenkugel's berry-weisse as preferable alternatives. The guy likes some very good beer, but he also likes moldy spaghetti. I think qualifying personal taste (in anything) comes down more to what we don't like than what we do like.

Billy-Klubb, I have to tell you: I'm teaching a Homebrewing class at a local community college, and on the last week (in two weeks) we're doing tasting and evaluation. Your Bud Lite tasting is going to get us off on the right foot! Thanks buddy!

I'm just happy to help!:rockin:

and this may be funny: I have decided since most people think beer drinkers fall into 1 of 2 categories (beer drinkers and beer snobs), I'm gonna just go ahead and and take it a step further. I don't like BMC's or BMC lights. I will not drink one if it's handed to me. I do not like mushrooms and will not eat a stuffed portabella if it's handed to me. I do not consider myself a snob. I must just be an a-hole. therefore I'm not a beer snob, I'm a beer a-hole. deal with it.

I'm still gonna review crappy crap and good crap alike.

I have decided since most people think beer drinkers fall into 1 of 2 categories (beer drinkers and beer snobs), I'm gonna just go ahead and and take it a step further. I don't like BMC's or BMC lights. I will not drink one if it's handed to me. I do not like mushrooms and will not eat a stuffed portabella if it's handed to me. I do not consider myself a snob. I must just be an a-hole. therefore I'm not a beer snob, I'm a beer a-hole. deal with it.

I'm still gonna review crappy crap and good crap alike.

I'll eat or drink anything that anyone hands me (as long as it's food). Does that mean I'm not an a-hole?

Back