WAORGANY Brewing e-HERMS Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stamandster said:
Did you buy a full 8' section of copper pipe? This is exactly how i need to get mind done. How much water is left over in the MLT?

Well I didn't hook it to pump but just using gravity and draining it while sitting level on the counter into the sink left behind just short of 2 quarts of water, I think hooked up to the pump it should draw it down much further.

Brian, do you need the extra copper for your build? Let me know!

I may need some. Not anytime soon though I just had to get some work done on my wife's car and it set me back a bit. I am currently looking to build a smaller electric brewery:mad:

I may need some. Not anytime soon though I just had to get some work done on my wife's car and it set me back a bit. I am currently looking to build a smaller electric brewery:mad:

I think that I will have some extra DIN rails as well...I think I ordered way too much LOL.

Will keep yous posted. Need to get the tops cut out re-cut soon, are you around this weekend?

I am around this weekend. I might be brewing too, it depends if Brewmasters warehouse gets my stuff here in time.

I am around this weekend. I might be brewing too, it depends if Brewmasters warehouse gets my stuff here in time.

Sounds good, maybe I can come over and give you a hand and we can cut these kegs..ready to get rolling and start building, See a few more things I need to get heading this way...getting closer. I will shoot ya an email or give you a call later on in the week.

I see your MLT is the same as mine, how do you plan on having the heated wort enter the MLT? I was thinking of installing a fitting in the lid with a length of silicon hose long enough to lay on the top of the mash.

Bill,

I just saw this on another thread this might be the way to go???

Use this for your mash recirc/sparge. It's good stuff...

mashtube.png

http://www.brewhardware.com/accessories/114-mashtube

Bill,

I just saw this on another thread this might be the way to go???

Might not be a bad option. I think the stuff is moveable so you can set it to dump just on top of the grain. The other part I have been thinking of is I would want to open the lid to look inside. I am still trying to figure out how to punch a hole in the side up at the top.

Might not be a bad option. I think the stuff is moveable so you can set it to dump just on top of the grain. The other part I have been thinking of is I would want to open the lid to look inside. I am still trying to figure out how to punch a hole in the side up at the top.

Yeah I might just use a spade bit I am sure that it would drill through pretty easy not sure how thick it is will find out soon enough I guess, maybe someone who has used this or drilled through the lid on one of these already will chime in. Yes it is flexibile and it can adjust to lay on top of the grain bed.

Got my electrical control box today great deal off eBay $59.95 free shipping for a 16x12x8 need to get a few more parts figure out the best layout, cut holes, insert items and start wiring!!!

image-2984638947.jpg

image-1076621414.jpg

image-3911023751.jpg

image-3323205073.jpg

image-350956490.jpg

Tiber_Brew said:
Looks like you're off to a great start! I will be following your build thread.

BTW, thanks for the shout out!

TB

Yeah man no worries glad to be getting things moving in the right direction! Thanks for the help, I am sure I will have some more questions for you again soon, ha ha.

Well I think I have my layout planned and figured out for the front and inside of the control box. What do you think? I used a sheet of cardboard cut down the same size of the front door of the panel 11.5" x15.5" I have attached a few pictures. Still need some blocks and fuses for the inside and then I think I can cut the holes in the panel and start wiring!

image-1354814988.jpg

image-4123904713.jpg

image-307789789.jpg

image-729517454.jpg

image-2740684527.jpg

image-4261628975.jpg

Well been busy today trying to knock out a few things on the punch list for my build!

First I recut my first keg HLT and then cut the BK will punch the holes once I get my HERMS coil made and one more ball valve I recently decided I wanted to add to the HLT.

image-1710738856.jpg

image-554566525.jpg

image-2629833314.jpg

Then I did some work on my control panel.

image-2387051443.jpg

I had to change the layout due to my original PID power switch was behind the door ground.

image-548724619.jpg

Drilling 1/2" hole for Green Lee punch

image-3561054022.jpg

First hole

image-4152351667.jpg

Green Lee punch in action this makes the holes go in way too easy

image-3183819266.jpg

One down a few more to go

image-944995876.jpg

All the holes punched

image-2000433226.jpg

The test fit, front and back

Attachments

• image-4070950722.jpg
    image-4070950722.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 731
Next was to cut the holes for the PIDs

image-306090644.jpg

I figured the Dremel tool was the best way to cut these

image-2485902183.jpg

I was right until it died!

image-807158523.jpg

I ended up finishing it with a Rotozip ( works but not the best) and finished with a flat hand file

image-807158523.jpg

Glad to be a few mores steps closer!

Attachments

• image-3596512507.jpg
    image-3596512507.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 751
  • image-1553220730.jpg
    image-1553220730.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 739
  • image-770949873.jpg
    image-770949873.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 753
Can't wait to see the finished piece! Are you using a cooler for your mash tun for any specific reason over just getting another keg?

Can't wait to see the finished piece! Are you using a cooler for your mash tun for any specific reason over just getting another keg?

Yes I am using a round water cooler from Lowe's for my MT. Several reasons for using it.

1. I already had it from making beer the hard way...
2. I think it will hold the temps better than a keg would.
3. I had a third keg, but sold it to another home brewer to get his build moving.

Waorgany - you said you were still debating the location of your heatsink (in or out of the box). I would definitely strongly consider outside. The guy (walker) who originally helped me design my first control panel put his PID inside and it got pretty hot he said. Ultimately he ended up putting in an "in" and an "out" blowing fan to cool the SSR. If I remember right he said his first one died a little early, or he was just concerned about it. YMMV

Looking good!

Waorgany - you said you were still debating the location of your heatsink (in or out of the box). I would definitely strongly consider outside. The guy (walker) who originally helped me design my first control panel put his PID inside and it got pretty hot he said. Ultimately he ended up putting in an "in" and an "out" blowing fan to cool the SSR. If I remember right he said his first one died a little early, or he was just concerned about it. YMMV

Looking good!

Yeah I am going to put the heat sink on the outside, just had to order a larger heat sink so it is easier to mount, waiting on that!. Thanks.

Very cool! Are you planning to paint? If so what color?

Yes I will paint it, it won't be black something bright and cheery...I think I am going to build the stand out of steel and have the panel mounted on possible a swivel TV stand for a flat screen, not sure yet. I think I will look into having the stand powder coated...then will never have to worry about it again! Longevity is the key to this build do it once and be done...my next build will be a 7 to 10 bbl system LOL

Yes I will paint it, it won't be black something bright and cheery...I think I am going to build the stand out of steel and have the panel mounted on possible a swivel TV stand for a flat screen, not sure yet. I think I will look into having the stand powder coated...then will never have to worry about it again! Longevity is the key to this build do it once and be done...my next build will be a 7 to 10 bbl system LOL

That is the way I feel about this one. The next one will be a brewery :D!!

I want this one to be very well suited for all my and my buddie's needs.

I wanted to paint the control panel silver or burnt orange but my buddy wants to keep the stand and the panel a greyish black or black color. I might give in because I am not sure how orange or silver would look on the panel...

iijakii said:
Were you one of us unluckys that got the raised-lip panel?

I am not sure if you are talking about the top of the control panel (box)? It came with a pre cut hole with panel that goes over the hole and bolts in with six bolts. I opted not to use it and covet that space with my larger heat sink as seen above. I will have to figure out a way to slightly fill some voids on the edge but it covets up 99% of the gap. Fit pretty well. Need to find a better way to tighten it up. Tried using the supplied hardware, but didn't tap very well, I might need to rework it some so it's secured a bit better. Not sure if this answered your question, but I think it's no. Thanks, all the best.

Oh, well some of those cable plates are raised up, while some are flush. The flush ones are easy - seal and attach heatsink of choice. I was just betting that you got the raised-one since you're trying to just cover it with a large heatsink. I'm in the same boat.

My plan was to just tap a few extra holes along the sides to get a nice tight fit, then silicone the crap out of it from the inside. Might do that this weekend.

Best of luck!

iijakii said:
Oh, well some of those cable plates are raised up, while some are flush. The flush ones are easy - seal and attach heatsink of choice. I was just betting that you got the raised-one since you're trying to just cover it with a large heatsink. I'm in the same boat.

My plan was to just tap a few extra holes along the sides to get a nice tight fit, then silicone the crap out of it from the inside. Might do that this weekend.

Best of luck!

Thanks yeah I think I will be able to get her all set up and looking good when I get some time to work on it thanks.

What flakes barley do you speak of??? I have no idea LOL, no not yet!

I always like the expression "you can laugh or cry" and we are choosing to laugh ha!

do a nice stout with them to honor the good old grain :D

just bench tested my control panel and all good, pics coming in soon on my thread. So pumped!

I always like the expression "you can laugh or cry" and we are choosing to laugh ha!

do a nice stout with them to honor the good old grain :D

just bench tested my control panel and all good, pics coming in soon on my thread. So pumped!

I think I will add a handful of it to my first batch of beer on the new system regardless of what it is just for good measure, will have to bring you a bottle of it when ready LOL Yeha hope to get some work done on the panel and kegs this weekend!

I think I will add a handful of it to my first batch of beer on the new system regardless of what it is just for good measure, will have to bring you a bottle of it when ready LOL Yeha hope to get some work done on the panel and kegs this weekend!

I envy you. I will be out of town this weekend so no work, no brewing :(

Enjoy!

CidahMastah said:
I envy you. I will be out of town this weekend so no work, no brewing :(

Enjoy!

Yeah I have to work on it when I can travel way too much for week so it will take me awhile to get everything complete will keep you posted

Back