my beer went from bad to good. is this unusual?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
about two and half months ago i brewed an avery old jubilation clone from AHS. i have kept it in primary the entire time. i tasted it after the third week and it was rancid. i never dumped it though, mainly out of laziness at first and then i sarted to periodically taste it. lo and behold it was starting to taste better and better. originally i thought that my beer was infected and was planning on dumping it. now it looks like i will be bottling tommorrow.

I've notice most of my batches improve with age but that was in the bottle. Never heard of leaving it sitting on the cake that long! I'm amazed it was even drinkable.

I've notice most of my batches improve with age but that was in the bottle. Never heard of leaving it sitting on the cake that long! I'm amazed it was even drinkable.

i know. it wasnt drinkable at all a month ago. this morning it tasted pretty good and ready to be bottled. no signs of autolysis, no nasty off flavors that were present before. i even drank a whole six ounce glass and i have to say that it tasted all right. once it is in bottles it may be a damn good beer. the weirdest part is that i am almost certain there has been a few days recently where the temp of the room i had it in was getting in the 80's.

THe same thing happened to my brothers Kolcsh batch. Smelled HORRIBLE, but we rode it out and it was fine.

that can happen. there might be some off flavor, and after some time the bad attenuates out. ever hear of a drinkable 3 month saison? some of them win awards after a year or two. when you let beer age, the flavors meld, and sometimes they enhance each other after a while. when they taste kinda bad, you have 2 choices: dump them and try again, or if you have the fermenter space, let it age and taste it later. let it age some more. you might have a good brew there

Back