From grain to glass in 10 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfocus

Reaction score
Explanation: I would like to brew this beer to celebrate the end of the football (soccer) season of my fav club: Bayern München (see my avatar). They play the next three Saturdays in a row, and could go on to win three different competitions (the league, the German cup and the European cup (UEFA Champion's League). I will most likely be having friends over for the last game of the season, on May 22nd. I have some other brews planned in the next couple of days, but would like to try to make this in the middle of next week (Tuesday or Wednesday). Obviously, it's something extra-light to have it ready so quick. I will also be kegging and force carbing it, which should help (maybe 2 days in the fridge). Thus, it would spend about 8-9 days in fermentation.

So, is it possible? Any tips you guys have to help get it ready in that kind of time (other than brewing it earlier, I may end up doing it on Sunday/Monday).

München Light

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.71 L
Boil Size: 34.66 L
Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 13.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.75 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 73.64 %
1.10 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 17.05 %
0.60 lb Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 9.30 %
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.10 %] (30 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.10 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Edit: Updated recipe a bit, also, I found a new name with a buddy: Munchen Light. I should be brewing this on Monday.

View attachment Munchen Light.xml

Definately can be done. Optimal results might not be achieved, however, I would do a hefeweizen which will require no clearing. It might take about 10 days to ferment so if your watch you OG you should be right on.

Another option would be a Kolsh style ale. If you can ferment at cool temps the fruitiness might be drinkable at 10 days. Fine it and keg it.

m.

I just made an IPA that is in the keg and I am drinking, I made it 16 days ago. It could have been ready sooner if it needed to be.

10 Gal batch

19 Lbs. Pale Ale Malt

5 Lbs. 40-50L Crystal Malt

1.5 oz Nugget 60 min
1.5 oz Nugget 30 min
2 oz Nugget 2 min
All whole leaf home grown so Alpha % unknown I estimated at 12%

Kinda dark for an IPA but it taste just toasty enough and just rosiny enough to be balanced a good IMHO.

Like others have said it may not be optimal but it is for a football party so anything should be perfect anyway.

Another option would be a Kolsh style ale. If you can ferment at cool temps the fruitiness might be drinkable at 10 days. Fine it and keg it.

m.

If you care about style, a Kolsch is traditionally lagered for 1 month, and I can guarantee it will be cloudy at 10 days if you don't using a fining agent and cold crash. That yeast takes time and cold to drop clear, but it will.

If it were me, I'd hold off on a ten day brew and get a good one going that will be ready for the World Cup! :D

I've already got quite a bit of beer in the pipeline that should be ready for the World Cup, but I wanted something special for their possible (knock on wood) treble this year.

All good information I'm getting guys, I may very well push this up to Monday to get just that bit of extra time. Also, I will most likely be fermenting a bit cooler (18-19C) to keep the yeast nice and clean.

He is kegging so you could leave it in the primary for 6-7 days force carb over 3-4 days. Then you don't have to worry about the cloudiness as it is part of the style. Good call!

My schedule might look something like this: 6-7 days in fermentation, then 1 day cold crashing in kegerator and 2 days in keg force carbed.

i'd do a hefe, ferment it warm bottle it after 4 days, carbed after 6?

+1. A hefe or mild is the way to go--I've had a bottle-conditioned hefe ready in 14 days, which with kegging could've easily been done in 10.

A kolsch seems like a really poor choice--that's one that you want to lager for at least 3-4 weeks to get a true kolsch flavor, and that's after fermentation finishes and before you start carbing.

BM's centinial blonde is a good choice as well I'm drinking one right now that is 14 days old 10 day primary (hit og at day six) cold crash with jello 48 hour force carb its not amazing but quiet quaffable

BM's centinial blonde is a good choice as well I'm drinking one right now that is 14 days old 10 day primary (hit og at day six) cold crash with jello 48 hour force carb its not amazing but quiet quaffable

Yes, I actually looked at both of his lighter recipes (Centennial Blonde and Sterling Gold). Tried to go somewhat close to there. I would like it to have a darker color, thus the Caramunich 1.

Yes, I actually looked at both of his lighter recipes (Centennial Blonde and Sterling Gold). Tried to go somewhat close to there. I would like it to have a darker color, thus the Caramunich 1.

I see you looked at Centennial Blonde. I had to have something light for my BMC friends before the fight last weekend and I only had about 10 days. BM's Cent. Blonde got me the results I was looking for. My fiends loved it and I am sure they will be back for more. Its a very light grain bill that ferments out extremely fast with no starter. (well I mean I didnt have one ready) I am planning on doing this one again soon, but giving it its dues to see if it get better with more TLC. I highly recommend the BM's Centennial Blonde for rush brews. Not that beer brewing should be rushed. ;)

Seems to me the recipes you have been looking at will work well. Hopefully the game goes good for you as well. I haven't watched Bayern play without ribery. Hopefully for you someone steps up to fill the void :mug:

I know this might sound a bit different from most of the suggestions, but a simple stout can be delicious in 2 weeks. I've made O'Flannigans stout and drank it in 14 days.

Also, BM's Cream of Three Crops. I've done 6 days in primary, cold crash over night, keg and drink on the 10th-11th day.

Here's the timeline on my last batch of pseudo-pilsner (a smash with pils and saaz fermented with steam yeast):
April 27: Brew day and make starter
April 28: Pitch Yeast
May 4: Cold crash
May 5: Rack to keg with gelatin at set pressure to 40 PSI.
May 7: Drop the pressure to 12PSI. After 8oz of sludge, slightly cloudy but very drinkable.

That's 10 days if I counted right. The starter may look odd because I no chill and do a real wort starter. If you chilled your beer and had a starter ready beforehand, that could be 9 days. Generally, the slight cloudiness goes away in another 5-7 days and the beer is crystal clear, but my pipleline demands usually put this beer into rotation before then.

My only other piece of advice is to use some sort of strainer when pouring the wort into the fermenter. Yeah, the small amount of break material that makes its way into the fermenter goes away eventually, but not by day 10. I forgot to run the wort through a paint strainer this last batch and still have some small particles floating around in my beer. When I use the strainer I don't get that.

EDIT: Oh, and by "slightly cloudy" it's still clear enough to read through. It's just not crystal yet.

Thanks for all the input guys, I will be rechecking my recipe, picking up my stuff tomorrow and most likely brewing on Monday.

Seems to me the recipes you have been looking at will work well. Hopefully the game goes good for you as well. I haven't watched Bayern play without ribery. Hopefully for you someone steps up to fill the void :mug:

Yeah Robben has been playing great after the winter break. What happened in the match when Ribery got sent off, is that Robben would rotate between left and right wing, Schweisteiger came up as an Att. Midfielder and Tymo as a Def. Midfielder. Ribery may be able to play in the final (his 3 game ban in Europe in Europe is under appeal).

Back