Tap handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sutepan

Reaction score
Just installed my new bar-top taps last week and had a party on Saturday to break them in. My friend surprised me with these beautiful handles. the main bodies are walnut with bird's-eye maple caps on top. The inlays in the faces are zebra wood, tulip wood, and purple heart. Awesome!

tap handles1 [50%].jpg

tap handles2 [50%].jpg

Nice. I'm looking to put a similar tower on the countertop behind my bar. How are you cooling the lines?
The fridge is immediately behind the wall, so there's about 2 1/2ft of line that's uncooled (including inside the tower). I have the line outside the fridge wrapped with foam pipe-wrap (not sure it does much). The lines are 5ft long, with the extra 2 1/2ft coiled inside the fridge. I get great pours with about 1/2" of head on a full pint.

The fridge is immediately behind the wall, so there's about 2 1/2ft of line that's uncooled (including inside the tower). I have the line outside the fridge wrapped with foam pipe-wrap (not sure it does much). The lines are 5ft long, with the extra 3ft coiled inside the fridge. I get great pours with about 1/2" of head on a full pint.

Thanks. The setup I'm envisioning, the tower would actually become part of the fridge interior, so I'm guessing I won't have any issues but am not sure. I'm going to have the fridge under the counter with some PVC bridging the gap between the fridge and the tower, with some silicone to seal any gaps.

Again, nice handles. I'm not sure what I'm going with as far as handles yet.

Thanks. The setup I'm envisioning, the tower would actually become part of the fridge interior, so I'm guessing I won't have any issues but am not sure. I'm going to have the fridge under the counter with some PVC bridging the gap between the fridge and the tower, with some silicone to seal any gaps.

Again, nice handles. I'm not sure what I'm going with as far as handles yet.

I don't see you having a problem. I read a lot of threads about warm lines and excessive foaming before I did my set-up (people installing fans inside kegerators to cool the tower....needing 10ft of line to reduce foaming etc....), so I was fearing the worst. As it turns out, "relax, have a homebrew!" I figure max there's a couple tablespoons of unchilled beer in my lines, no foaming problems so far (still on my first two kegs with this set-up). I did have to experiment a bit with pressure. When I had picnic taps inside the fridge I poured at 4-5psi. Now I pour with 8psi as there's a rise of about 2' from the top of the keg to the top of the taps.

Good luck on your set-up, post some pics. I tell ya, nothing beats pouring homebrew from taps on the bar!

Back