Can I split a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
I've brewed a couple of extract batches so far, one is still in the primary and the other is bottle conditioning. I've followed the recipes to a T for these two batches. I'm planning on doing an IPA for my next batch, but I was thinking of pitching two different yeasts into two different primaries just to experiment with how different yeasts yield different flavors, but I don't have the equipment to brew more than a 5 gallon batch (and my stockpile is really building up now, so 10 gallons is a bit much). Could I brew the wort as called for in the recipe and, after topping off the cooled wort to just above 5 gallons, split the batch into two 2.5 gallon batches? Would I just pitch half of the smack pack into each batch? Can I ferment 2.5 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon bucket/carboy? Anything else I need to be aware of?

I was at the local brew shop recently and they were tasting two IPAs that were identical except for the yeast (one an American yeast and one a British yeast). I thought it would be fun to try at home to get a little variety.

Thanks,
John

There shouldn't be any problems with fermenting 2.5 gallons in a 5-gallon fermenter. CO2 should displace all the oxygen in there, so no worries about oxidation because of the extra headspace.

If you're using smackpacks, still pitch the whole thing. It would be silly to waste it. You're not going to overpitch by using the whole thing and will probably get a quick, clean fermentation as a result of doing so.

Sure can. Just make sure the top off water is very well distributed before splitting the batch. Pitch the whole smack pack of yeast, don't split it. You won't need a starter, but one smack pack will serve fine for 2.5 gallons.

Go for it. I split batches often to provide variety. The splits I have done are adding fruit to one half. The other is watering down one batch, which is similar to how traditional porters and stouts were made.

I would pitch the whole smack pack into each 2.5 gallon batch. Check Mr. Malty for exact pitch rates, but I think you'll find 100 billon cells, or one smack pack, is about right for 2.5 gallons. Although if you do under pitch by adding half the pack, more of the yeast flavor will be evident.

Just make sure the top off water is very well distributed before splitting the batch.

+1. This is going to be a somewhat of a concern if you want to make sure the batches are truly identical except for the yeast. In fact, you might do better to mark 2.5 gallons on your fermenters, split the concentrated wort, and then top each fermenter off separately.

Cool, and thanks for the tips. Now I can get two slightly different beers for the price of one additional smack pack.

I'm still searching for an IPA recipe. My local shop is Maltose Express and the owners are the authors of CloneBrews and Beer Captured and they have a lot of kits readily available...just have to pick one! Considering the West Coast IPA clone but, although I like the beer, it may be a bit more than I want to go for on this batch. I might go for something a little less hoppy this time.

Now I can get two slightly different beers for the price of one additional smack pack.

Start saving yeast slurys and it will be free!
here is some I saved: http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-four-pet-yeasts.html

If you want to really be able to taste the difference between the yeasts then you might consider a Pilsner, or a Hefewizein. The difference between a hefe and a Sasion is mostly the yeast.

This is a recipie that I split into a regualr wheat beer and a raspberry wheat:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/ufo-raspberry-hefeweizen-clone-recipe.html

Sure can. Just make sure the top off water is very well distributed before splitting the batch. Pitch the whole smack pack of yeast, don't split it. You won't need a starter, but one smack pack will serve fine for 2.5 gallons.

If they are buckets, I like to sanitize my bottling bucket and pour the whole 5 gallon mixed volumes back and forth between the fermenter and bottling bucket to mix well and aerate.

I've got a hefe in the primary now, otherwise I would take your suggestion. My first brew was a scottisch ale, and my second is the hefe. My wife picked out this recipe (she's a fan of wheat beers, and I've got to keep her happy!) Now I want to brew something for me, and I love a good IPA. Maybe I'll try dry hopping with different hops in addition to, or instead of, different yeasts. Which do you think would make more of a difference or be more interesting?

I've got a hefe in the primary now, otherwise I would take your suggestion. My first brew was a scottisch ale, and my second is the hefe. My wife picked out this recipe (she's a fan of wheat beers, and I've got to keep her happy!) Now I want to brew something for me, and I love a good IPA. Maybe I'll try dry hopping with different hops in addition to, or instead of, different yeasts. Which do you think would make more of a difference or be more interesting?

I think yeasts would be more interesting to experiment. You KNOW the hops are going to make a pronounced difference, I think EXPERIENCING the nuances of yeast flavor would be something you are less likely to appreciate in any other facet other than the experiment you mention.

This guy would be a good contender I think:

YEAST STRAIN: 1275 | Thames Valley Ale™

Back to Yeast Strain List

This strain produces classic British bitters with a rich, complex flavor profile. The yeast has a light malt character, low fruitiness, low esters and is clean and well balanced.

Thanks for the yeast suggestion, since I really have no clue about different yeasts. I was going to sift through some IPA recipes to get ideas.

When the local shop did the side-by-side taste test with the american and british yeasts, my wife and I both liked the british (they didn't say exactly the strain of yeast used), so I am looking for something like you described.

I generally only alter a single variable at a time.

For example, if you try a few yeasts and like the taste of one, then you brew that again and split and try two different hops. One step at a time, you refine the perfect recipe.

Sure you can - I do this from time to time to check effects of different yeast or dry hopping with different hops

Back