Fermenting too warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I brewed a Pale Ale on Sunday and pitched Wyeast 1056. I checked the fermenter today and it was reading between 70F and 73F on the stick-on thermometer. I moved the fermenter into another room that is cooler, the temperature is now around 68F. Should I be worried about off flavors from fermenting at those temperature for 24-48 hours?

Nothing to worry about here... The Wyeast website lists a range of 60-72F for that yeast. If you're really worried about off-flavors I would recommend holding the beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks to allow the yeast plenty of time to clean up after themselves.

Agreed, I think it'll turn out okay. Give it some extra time to clean up.

For my brewing, I always target the bottom of the fermenting range for the first 2 days. Some brews I bring up in temp to help fully attenuate or to create esters/phenolics to style (belgians).

Yeah, I actually just made an IPA with 1056 (before I had my swamp cooler to control temps) and it was up near 72 and didn't really notice any major esters or other off-flavors.

You may get some phenols and esters but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Mostly personal preference.

Latest posts

Back