Anyone entering the 2012 Boneyard Brew-Off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bruwsomtin said:
If thats the case, how high of a score renders a 1st , 2nd, or 3rd? Or does the score have little to do with assigning a ribbon. I think ribbons are assigned more on the basis "That beer taste more appealing to me (the judge)." For example, if a beer scores a 41 vs 39 in the same cat. and the judges decide that the 39 is just a more appealing beer to them do they assign the 39 with a ribbon?

I think you misunderstood darwin. He's saying placing doesn't matter, what matters is the feedback you get.

Higher score is higher placement.... why would they rate a more appealing beer a 39 and a less appealing a 41, but give the ribbon to the 39? I don't think anyone would compete if that's how it worked.

I think you misunderstood darwin. He's saying placing doesn't matter, what matters is the feedback you get.

Higher score is higher placement.... why would they rate a more appealing beer a 39 and a less appealing a 41, but give the ribbon to the 39? I don't think anyone would compete if that's how it worked.

I did read in a comp rules section (not particularly this comp) that when assigning a place to an entry, it is the judges discretion based on the consensus of the panel to who's beer gets what place based on the best tasting beer. A higher scored beer does not automatically mean they will place higher. Scores of those who are awarded a place are usually not listed for this reason.

Bruwsomtin said:
I did read in a comp rules section (not particularly this comp) that when assigning a place to an entry, it is the judges discretion based on the consensus of the panel to who's beer gets what place based on the best tasting beer. A higher scored beer does not automatically mean they will place higher. Scores of those who are awarded a place are usually not listed for this reason.

The electoral college has this same rule too. Hah

I've helped judge one contest so far. (Hoping to take the exam in Aug.) We took the highest 5 or so in each category and tasted them again before assigning a place. Scores from 1-50 can drift higher or lower while judging a flight of several dozen beers. Pitting the best against each other at the end makes sure the best one actually wins.

Anyone get score sheets emailed to them yet? This is my first comp., not sure what or when to expect. (Very soon per the website isn't very specific)

I did receive mine this morning. Overall pleased with results from my first competition.

My wheat scored a 32, but a 34 from the certified judge
Sweet stout scored a 32.5 but a 35 from the certified judge

Funny in both cases the non-certified judge brought my score down.

I'm sure it varies some, but what types of scores to the top 3 normally get? mid to high 30's?

I got my scoresheets in my inbox as well.

My American Amber got a 29... everything was good except that they mentioned an off-flavor that they couldn't quite pin down. I'm pretty sure it was just a little green.

Pumpkin Ale did decently well with a 33. One judge gave it big praise saying it's a great example of a pumpkin ale; spiciness is evident but not overbalanced. He said he wanted a bit more sweetness (it did get slightly dry) but would have a pint of it on a cool fall day. The other judge got plastic flavors... I'd bet from the spices :(

The Chocolate Peppermint Sweet Stout got a 28. They praised the cocoa/mint/cream flavors but said the base beer was one-dimensional.

Overall I'm happy with the results. It definitely gives me some distinct things to work on.

I got a first place with a 39, a third with a 36, and a 30 that didn't get anything. Comments were good, probably entered my cider in the wrong category so I'll try it in the specialty if there's a comp near by before it's gone. Overall good input, I found the National judge typically scored me lower than the non-certified judges. It's nice to see in the comments that they enjoyed your brew, despite a low score. Funny that National judge noted that my Mead didn't seem to have high enough ABV for a Sack Mead (9%), when it was actually about 17%, must have been too sweet or something to hide the booze.

I got a 33 with the same beer I entered in the PSB open that scored a 38.5. I also received the least helpfull feedback from the judges. One judge did not even finish the damn judging sheet. I should have just had my local homebrewers taste the beer. I would have saved 20 bucks. I am beginning to think the BJCP is nothing more than a bunch of peeps getting together to drink free beer.

Back