Anyone grow hops in DIY wooden planters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schreck

Reaction score
Solved the initial dillemma of whether or not to container grow... and seeing as the house is going on the market in the next month or so, i will have to take the hops with me at the end of the season (after harvest of course in the fall).

I live in a woodsy area, lots of trees and yard, but the south facing side of the house is taken up primarily by my driveway. The perimeter of the driveway gets full sun... from dawn to dusk!... only problem is that i don't want the plants to look unsightly.. especially when we are trying to get the house sold... unless the next owner is a homebrewer! :p Currently they are in 2 large plastic planters, and 3 5 gal white buckets (former fermenting buckets)... they stick out like a sore thumb.

Id like to line the edge of the driveway (4 ft of grass, followed by shrubs, hiding the slope down to a lower level yard) with some wooden planters - which will either contain the 5 rhizomes, or act to hold and hide the large Rubbermaid roughneck containers i will be transferring the plants to by May.

CHEAP DIY is the ultimate form of flattery... anyone have this problem or have any crafty ideas to solve it. I was thinking of repurposing wooden pallets...

(il upload some pictures shortly)

Thanks

Back