Any issues letting fermentation run long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I have a Riesling kit and instead of adding the last group of packets (stabilizing) when I was supposed to I wanted to let fermentation run its course to get a dry'er product. I racked to secondary when I was supposed to and it just keeps going. I will get back on track when it slows down. I have taken readings and the SG is still going down. I will complete the instructions after an extra week / week .5. Anything to look out for or extra steps after the additional time or just pick up where I left off?

I have a Riesling kit and instead of adding the last group of packets (stabilizing) when I was supposed to I wanted to let fermentation run its course to get a dry'er product. I racked to secondary when I was supposed to and it just keeps going. I will get back on track when it slows down. I have taken readings and the SG is still going down. I will complete the instructions after an extra week / week .5. Anything to look out for or extra steps after the additional time or just pick up where I left off?

Nope, sounds like your fermentation is not finished. If your gravity is still above 1.000 - .098 you should let the yeast do their thing. Keep taking gravity readings, as the bubbles in the airlock can be misleading. Stabilize it only when YOU feel its done. Good luck! :)

SG keeps going down, makes a pretty chart. I will give what ever time it needs. It does taste nice each time I take a reading. I usually follow the instructions, but I think this will be nice dry. Thanks for the info.

Back