Saison Temp Question for Wyeast 3522

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a Saison with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardenes yeast. The recommend temp range of this yeast is 65-85 degrees, with increased phenols as temperature increases. My basement where I'll be fermenting is currently 76 degrees. Is this a satisfactory temperature for brewing the saison, or should I swamp cooler it? I'm just not sure about the increased phenols, and how that relates to the Saison style.

Note: I'm brewing the saison as a birth announcement of my son, he's due October 19th. We live on a farm, this is a favorite style of mine. A farmhouse ale was a no-brainer choice for me. I'll be doing labels with his picture on it. This is hardly my first batch, I just want this to turn out really well. I will be making a starter. Thanks.

Wyeast Laboratories. Belgian Ardennes™ 3522

That's a great temp for saison - I like it very phenolic. :)

BTW: don't use too big a starter. The yeast needs to be stressed to some degree for the phenols. A larger starter will inhibit phenolic aroma/flavour.

I used 650 mL of water and 1/2 cup light DME for my starter. It's the first time I'm using the stir plate for a starter, it's foaming like crazy in a 1000mL flask.

Latest posts

Back