Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning to split 10 gallons in two. Tell me what you think:

100% Vienna or MO to 1.054
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 20
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 10
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 0
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace dry hop

One half gets WY1098, other WY3711

I'm questioning my malt choice and my hop choice. What would you recommend?

I've only used Maris otter and never Vienna but I'm sure either would be fine. MO has a nice bread flavor when compared to other malts.

I just kegged a MO/cascade smash. Sample was very good. This was simply supposed to be a test batch for my new equipment setup, but I might end up brewing it again.

I made the same smash and it was fantastic. It sort of tastes like a flower.

Just did one with 15 LBS 2-row and EKG Safale #5
We will see when its ready how it tastes

Working on a keg of 15 lb of MO and 14 oz of whole leafs Cascade out of my garden, very nice and plenty hoppy! I will need to do this again!!......

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm planning to split 10 gallons in two. Tell me what you think:

100% Vienna or MO to 1.054
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 20
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 10
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 0
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace dry hop

One half gets WY1098, other WY3711

I'm questioning my malt choice and my hop choice. What would you recommend?

Having just tapped a Vienna/Sorachi SMaSH I'd say be careful. I used 1oz each at 60/15/0 and WOW is that a unique flavor. The bite of the hops is good. The aroma is unusual. The flavor... well... I will be SMaSHing Vienna again, but Sorachi is off my hop list: not much lemon, more dill and ?lemongrass? It has a much earthier flavor than I expected when everyone says it provides a "lemon" flavor/aroma.

We did a pre prohibition American lager SMASH. We used all 6 row malt and Cluster hops. Well, we did have 30% rice but it was a single malt, single hop!
It ended up being a really nice beer and I really liked the cluster hops. They get a bad rap but they were very authentic to early American lagers.

Two batches

15 lbs American 2 row and 15 lbs Marris Otter

2 oz Zythis hops because the shop hadn't tried and I never heard of them

75 min mash BIAB 150f, hour boil

American 2 row kegged and sitting in the spare room, Marris otter fermenting 60-65 (day 1.5 was around 73-75 :( )

Seems to be a common phrase in this thread "best beer I've made to date"

Just a reminder to keep your beers simple with one, two, at tops three malts and hops.

I've been brewing for about 10 years and the further along I go in the hobby, simplicity becomes more and more important (gear and recipes)

got 2 starter going on, WLP001 and WLP002. Will brew 2 batch of 12lbs Maris Otter with 4oz Simcoe and try both yeast... May brew 1 more and try with US-05... can be interesting...

Let me just say that the pilsner and tettnanger saison was absolutely fantastic. Brew this beer in the summer ever year. Sooooo good.

This thread is awesome, hope it keeps going. I am doing my first SMaSH this weekend. I have 10bls of Maris Otter and a range of hops to choose from on hand. I've settled on Centennial because that's what I have the most of. My planned recipe will look something like this:

5.5 Gallon batch

10 lbs Maris Otter
.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.5 oz Centennial @ 15
1.0 oz Centennial @ 5

Mashing at 152 for 60 minutes
60 minute boil

US-05 @ 68 (can't get much lower with a bucket and ice bottles)

My goal is a light enough hop flavor to learn about the hop and malt. Beersmith has me at about 33 IBUs.

My best was a pretty wacky experiment. It was just 12 lbs of two-row, mashed around 154, boiled for an hour with no hops, then cooled to 190 degrees, and 5 oz of Summit dropped in for a 45 minute hop steep. It was really just meant as an experiment in steeping hops, to see how much bitterness I could expect. Fermented with repitched US-05. It came out super smooth, oddly sweet, and with an unbelievable aroma and flavor -- like the best boozy pineapple juice ever. Tried something similar later, and was not able to reproduce that first beer.

I did my first SMaSH earlier this year, I got the idea & recipe from Eric Shepard's blog, just tweaked a little. 10.5 lbs MO & Cascade, 1 Oz first wort, 1.25 Oz @ 7 & 1.75 Oz @ 1 min. I did another with Centennial but I think I prefer Cascade. It's been called "one-dimensional" but I prefer "simple"! Works great for a lawnmower beer. MO is one tasty malt, after reading about using Vienna I may have to try that next.

2.5 gal batch
5 lbs Marris Otter
2oz Amarillo mash hops
.5 oz Amarillo @60
Wyeast 2124

I brewed this as a Lager and it turned out fantastic.

I did my first SMaSH earlier this year, I got the idea & recipe from Eric Shepard's blog, just tweaked a little. 10.5 lbs MO & Cascade, 1 Oz first wort, 1.25 Oz @ 7 & 1.75 Oz @ 1 min. I did another with Centennial but I think I prefer Cascade. It's been called "one-dimensional" but I prefer "simple"! Works great for a lawnmower beer. MO is one tasty malt, after reading about using Vienna I may have to try that next.
Forgot to add I used WLP001 for these at ~66F.

I've only brewed one SMaSH beer and its only been like 5 days since bottled but the sample was very tasty

16 lbs marris otter 4 oz el dorado

.5-60
.5-45
1-30
1-15
1-flame out

Fermented with wlp002 at 66 degrees

Can't wait to try a full carbonated bottle

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Well here she is one week in the bottle and a few hours in the fridge ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412126213.946241.jpg

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Belma SMaSH IPA

5.5 Gallons

16 lb Maris Otter

1 oz Belma @60 min
1 oz Belma @30 min
2 oz Belma @10 min
2 oz Belma - 10 day Dry hop @ 7 days

US-05

This one turned out great, a nice balanced bitterness (73.8 IBU) with a lot of nice floral notes, a hint of pineapple and grapefruit, with a little bit of resin. I love any SMaSH with Maris Otter and this one did not disappoint.

I've done two SMaSH recipes and both turned out great. First was a 2-Row/Cascade and the next was my Wily Mo Pena Ale (for those that like obscure baseball references) - Marris Otter/Willamette. Simple, yet very tasty.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Drinking a 2 Row/Wakatu now. Wakatu's description as lime notes isn't a lie, wow. I think my favorite thus far has to be the Maris Otter/Citra I did, though I'd change the hop schedule a bit and definitely dry hop next time. I've got an ESB/EKG lined up next and after that...well, the sky is the limit.

I recently brewed an all UK sessionable SMaSH that turned out very nicely.

10lbs Maris Otter
4 oz of EKG (1oz-FW, 1oz-15min, 1oz-10min, 1oz-FO)
London Ale Yeast #1028
Mash 60 min @ 152F, Boil 60 min.

Very easy beer to brew which was nice too.

Going to get a Munich/Simcoe going in a week or so...and would like some input on grain to pair with(mainly just some that you noticed pair really well):

Citra
Palisade
Columbus
Mosaic
Amarillo

Going to use either WLP060 or the SD super WLP090 with 1L starter...

Golden Promise and Chinook. Turned out great, so much flavor in the malt imo.

10# Golden Promise
4.5 oz Chinook (.5oz 60, 1oz 10, 1oz 5, 2.5oz dry hop 6 days)
US-05

I have 14lbs of Maris otter and 1lbs of
Mosaic hops to work with. I love higher gravity beers, does anyone have any suggestions on a hop schedule for 14lbs of grains. I have a schedule in mind, but I also want suggestions from everyone. Thanks and happy home brewing.

I have 14lbs of Maris otter and 1lbs of
Mosaic hops to work with. I love higher gravity beers, does anyone have any suggestions on a hop schedule for 14lbs of grains. I have a schedule in mind, but I also want suggestions from everyone. Thanks and happy home brewing.

I make an all Mosiac PA that has become my favorite recipe. It is 90% MO. The hop schedule is 10% of the hops at 60 mins and the rest split between 15 mins and FO. The specific amounts are determined with BrewTarget to get to mid/high 30's IBUs.

Just finished the brew this evening. 14lbs Maris otter, 7 oz mosaic pellet hops. 90 min boil. 1 oz 90 min, 1 oz 60min, 1oz 30 min, 1oz 10 min. Whirlpool 3oz at 0 min. 6 gallon batch
Going to dry hop 3oz after 7 days in fermenter. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416353577.834729.jpg

I've only done one which was Marris Otter and Brambling Cross hops...I think with WL 001...Not a bad brew

My first which is one week into bottle conditioning. MO and Galaxy. Like pineapple mango juice and just enough malt from the MO. This may be my new grain of choice for ipa's.

The beer I have conditioning right now wins by default even if it turns out to be horrible. It's my first SMaSH:).

I picked/dried a bunch of wild cluster (I think) hops back in September and decided I wanted to do at least one SMaSH beer with them. Basically I took the New Albion Ale clone recipe from BYO magazine and replaced the cascade hops with the wild hops. I also used danstar windsor yeast in place of the recommended liquid yeast. My LHBS sells "Canadian" 2-Row but I think it should be pretty much the same as 2-Row from the US (right?).

I've named this beer Canadian Wild Cluster(?) SMaSH. The hydrometer sample at bottling was pretty good so I am looking forward to trying this. It should be ready for a first sample the first week of 2015.

2-row and Cascade is my go to simple pale ale/Blonde. I have hopped it at different rates and used several different types of yeasts over the years and it always seem t turn out good. The funny thing is I have been making this almost since I started brewing almost 10 years ago and definitely before the term SMaSH started to be used so frequently. Every time I make it and no matter which specific recipe I use, it is always a hit. Sometimes simple is best, I guess.

Best beer I've ever made also happened to be a smash recipe. 11 lbs Vienna and 4 oz centennial, added an ounce at a time at 60 mins, 20 mins, 5 minutes, and flameout. Fermented with Us-05. It got weird though cause 9 days into fermentation, my chamber controller crapped out on me and I froze it completely solid. I immediately thawed and kegged. The freezing either helped it or it just maybe didn't hurt cause the keg was gone in less than a week. Last week I made 10 more gallons but this time I'm pressure-fermenting in a 5 gallon corny. Will post results when it's ready!

My first which is one week into bottle conditioning. MO and Galaxy. Like pineapple mango juice and just enough malt from the MO. This may be my new grain of choice for ipa's.

That sounds nice!

Can you post the hop schedule and how many lbs of MO you used?

I just made my first SMaSH with Nugget hops we grew in our garden. It is too early to tell if it will be the best or worst, I just wanted to subscribe to this thread. Not only is it my first SMaSH, it is also the first time we have used our homegrown hops as well as implemented a few new additions to our process (ie. ferm. temp control, water adjustments..etc). I am very excited and nervous at the same time. It was simply 6 lbs of Muntons DME and 3 oz Nugget. We can not wait to try it.

Back