You have room for 2 or 3 brewing books on your shelf...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natewv

Reaction score
What are they?

Full disclosure, I currently have zero...I have read what seems like a million threads - but you all know as well as I every question seems to have 4 correct answers on here :tank: - many youtube vids, many step by steps, Palmer's online (rev1). I have maybe 15 brews under my belt, 4 all grain...I have an understanding of the basics for HOW to brew a good beer, I have no clue how to craft a recipe and wwowuld like to learn, etc. I will be buying a few on Amazon today or tomorrow. I do not know if it's a necessity but up to date would be preferred.

If you had a gun to my head and I had to purchase now I would get (per recommendations from friends) Designing Great Beers and Radical Brewing, but I look forward to your input.

You have room for 2 or 3 brewing books on your shelf...

Build a bigger shelf. :mug:

JP's How to Brew is fantastic. Fundamentals of every step of the process.
Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing is a bit dated, but a very fun read. Awesome overview of the process, getting to know ingredients, styles, etc.
Daniel's Designing Great Beers is awesome for all grain brewing - knowing how to calculate grain & hop bills. The receipe sections are fine, but understanding the math of gravity & IBU's is very well-written.

+1 to Designing Great Beers. Instead of paying for brewing software, I just made an Excel spreadsheet for calculating recipes based on that book, and I have had good luck with those recipes.

For recipe design alone, I would say:
Designing Great Beers - Daniel
Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher

For other books:
Tasting Beer - Randy Mosher : Not as much about creating or designing beers, but a fun and informative read on beer styles, aroma, serving, etc.

Since you've already read Palmers How to Brew v1 - and probably know a lot of the updated methods due to these threads (when to transfer (or not) to a secondary, the autolysis and hot-side aeration boogey monsters) then I would recommend something more advanced:

Brewing - Tom Young: I am still reading this, and my first take...I could not have gotten through this as a beginner. But after brewing for a couple of years, reading BYO, reading these threads, and the books above, this becomes a good intermediate level book. Gives you a bit more of the engineering and scientific knowledge around brewing, without being a complex textbook.

I have several books. I have a book I almost never open, Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher. The rest I use. I love the old standard, The Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. I use my How to Brew by John Palmer the most. I also really like Brewing Classic Styles by Palmer and Zainasheff as it's all of the beer styles in a nutshell with recipes. It helped me learn what styles have, what makes them work, and how to do it. I also have Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.

Designing Great Beers is a bit dated, and I asked Ray last summer when he was updating it. He told me he was getting ready then to work on it.

I have a book I almost never open, Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.

I love Radical Brewing. I'm not sure how informative it is over-all but I really enjoy reading the book, and it does give you good ideas on brewing beer and styles that are unique.

Don't know why but I haven't felt like I gained much from reading Palmer's How to Brew and those other classics. Maybe I need to give them another chance.

The only book I've cracked twice is probably Designing Great Beers.

If you like Belgians at all I would recommend Brew Like a Monk. That, How to Brew, and Farmhouse Ales are my most referenced books.

I learned on "Homebrewing for Dummies" and Palmer's "How to Brew."

I found the "Homebrewing for Dummies" to be MUCH more useful for the newbie brewer, and Palmer's book to be much better once you have a few batches under your belt.

I also found you have to complement ANY book with some extensive Homebrew Forum reading. Once you know the basics, you find that lots of the info in all homebrew books is 1980s-1990s brewing techniques. Most of these techniques are still the prevailing theory, but there is always a few techniques that are outdated or at the least unnecessary.

It might be different if I were just getting into homebrewing, but now I'd pick

How to Brew
Brewing Classic Styles
Yeast

I'm a bit a science nerd, thus the last one, plus it's a good one.

I regularly refer to How To Brew and Brewing Classic Styles. I've read many of the others listed above plus more. I've enjoyed every one and glad I read them, but I don't refer back to them as frequently. Third for me might be Brewing With Wheat or Farmhouse Ales. So I'd recommend a third be based on whatever your favorite or most interested styles are.

After my first time brewing, I ran out and got JP's "How to Brew" and Mosher's "Radical Brewing". Just starting out, they were a great pair, because Palmer's book leans toward the science of brewing, while Mosher's leans toward the art. Now that I am designing my own recipes and want to understand how to make a particular style, I'm using "Designing Great Beers" a lot (and using the forums, of course).

I would go with:
How to Brew
Designing Great Beers
Brewing Better Beer

or something like that.

If I were backed into a corner and wanted to do more sour beers, I would swap out one of the above with Wild Brews.

I guess most posters are going to post what they've read, and their take on it. Here's my take.

I read Palmer's book first and found it to be excellent. It was generally well-written, contains very useful tables and references, contains highly practical information, and balances brevity with explanation much to my liking. I've dog-eared several of its tables for reference when creating recipes. My only complaint--I finished the book thinking that racking to a secondary vessel should be standard homebrew practice, but I recently learned (on HBT) that he (Palmer) no longer emphasizes this as much, and many homebrewers don't rack to a secondary except in particular, relatively uncommon circumstances (see multiple threads on HBT, particularly those by Revvy). So I racked a few times when I might've saved myself some labor and worry, no biggie. The book is outstanding. I've got a solid math, science, and engineering background, so I appreciated the formulas, but honestly, it might be a bit overwhelming for someone who doesn't like math and science. This is THE BOOK I use to craft my own recipes, which is a very enjoyable part of homebrewing for me. I feel quite confident in my recipe design abilities, and I owe it to JP.

I am currently reading "Yeast" and find it hard to maintain my momentum. The homebrewer can find lots of relevant and usual tips, but not without undue effort. The chapters are long, loosely organized, even unwieldy at times--not very (ahem) digestible. Homebrewers are clearly not the only people reading this book. It's also written for use in commercial breweries. The mixing of audiences must have been hard for the authors to manage, and it shows. Take this sentence: "For the homebrewer...can sterilize them in an autoclave." Can I? Really? "Honey, are you still using the autoclave? I need it tonight." And let's be honest, commercial brewers probably don't want to know how to make their own magnetic stirrers either. A Cliff's notes version of "Yeast" should be written with practical tips condensed only for the homebrewer, and another edition of this book should be written for commercial types without homebrewer references--two audiences, two books. The book is reasonably well-written, though seemingly imperfectly edited (e.g. the paragraph on yeast vitality seems to confuse vitality with viability in one sentence, unless I missed the exact point the author was trying to make, but I don't believe I did.). I noticed another apparent error in a table that indicates 3.0 "doublings" occur when going from 100 to 400 billion cells. Maybe I'm being too picky here. These are minor points to most people, but I expect published materials to be free of errors. I will be glad to finish reading the book so I can go back later and use it as a reference. In the end I will likely be satisfied, but not thrilled, with my purchase of this book. Now if I could just save up enough for my spectrophotometer, my Carlsberg flask, and my gas chromatograph....

I enjoyed "Brew Like a Monk", though I would quibble about the title. After reading it I don't feel confident enough to make my own Belgian style ale. It's not that the information isn't in there. It is. The way the book is organized (by breweries and their beers), doesn't lend itself well to a step by step guide, which the title might suggest. I wouldn't change the book's organization, however. It reads well, and the author is engaging. It's the most enjoyable read I've listed. I found a fair number of typos in the tables within, mostly errors in reporting specific gravity (e.g. 10.85 instead of 1.085). That doesn't change the meaning to me, because I know it's a simple mistake, however, when I see the same error on multiple pages, it tells me the book wasn't proofread adequately enough. In the end, I was thoroughly satisfied with the book, and I even gave it away to another brewer and bought another copy. It's just not a really "how to" book, in my opinion.

I found "Brew Chem 101" to be a quick and easy, but somewhat forgettable, read. I don't anticipate using it much as I homebrew, but it's nice to have read it. I think the author did a good job of presenting information on chemistry and chemicals at an appropriate level for most homebrewers, but I might be off about this because I have more than an average knowledge of chemistry.

Like others I found How to Brew by JP very good. I'm in the middle of "The Joy of Homebrewing" by Papazian and it is a little long winded.

I'd let someone borrow my "Joy" book, but they can buy their own copy of "How to Brew".

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing: A bit dated and a bit longwinded at times, but Papazian has a ton of great information about brewing, some good humor, and it doesn't hurt that he's a fellow Armenian!
Designing Great Beers: An excellent resource for AG brewing, and with a little work, you can use these guidelines to come up with some great extract and PM recipes as well
The Oxford Companion to Beer: Although not a homebrewing book per se, it is a fantastic reference for all things beer, and a wonderful coffee table/conversation starter book

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing: A bit dated and a bit longwinded at times, but Papazian has a ton of great information about brewing, some good humor, and it doesn't hurt that he's a fellow Armenian!
Designing Great Beers: An excellent resource for AG brewing, and with a little work, you can use these guidelines to come up with some great extract and PM recipes as well
The Oxford Companion to Beer: Although not a homebrewing book per se, it is a fantastic reference for all things beer, and a wonderful coffee table/conversation starter book

Got all three of those too... I got the joy book first, and then learned how it has both some timeless information and some really outdated information. IMO, triple check anything from it before you use those methods. Also, don't use Irish moss in your batches of mead and PLEASE don't boil them... :drunk:

Another book I have on the shelf (since those three are already mentioned) include:
Yeast by Chris White with Jamil Zainasheff... IMO, extremely important to have if you're serious about brewing. I'd even go so far as to say it's critical reading for anyone that wants to make the best beer possible, since yeast is a critical part of any batch. Treat it right, and it will reward you with the 'happy juice'... :tank::rockin:

I have others, but I feel very strongly about having Yeast there for reference. At under $20 ($19.95 list price) it's worth every penny. Hell, you can get it for under $12 from Amazon and have it in two days via a Prime membership (I have one of those, recovered the first year membership costs in holiday gift shipping).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been mentioned a few times, but Designing Great Beers is a really good book. If you are looking into understanding what goes into recipes, this is the best I have found - with one exception. It has next to no mention of Belgian beers.

These kind of questions always depend on where your experience level is at. I've got a couple that are key books for me that aren't listed here, but are books that are right for my brewing level.

Brewing Science and Practice, 2004 ... If you want the techno-babble behind the watered down layman's books..more of a college type textbook ..

Thanks everyone, for the advice. I ended up going with How to Brew, Designing Great Beers, and Radical Brewing, which seems like a fun read. That said, this is a good conversation so keep it going.

Good thread. I am relatively new to brewing. I have made 6 extract batches so far. 1 from a kit and the rest by writing my recipes using Charlie Pap's tables from "the joy of home brewing". I am currently planning the switch to all grain and searching amazon for some good books. I got "the joy of home brewing" before I even bought my first pack of yeast. I found the book to be a fun read even though it was dated. I learned a lot from it and it's now time to move on. I use palmers website as a reference and will probably pick up "how to brew" just to have a hard copy. I am definitely getting "designing great beers".
Now I need a third book. After reading this thread I am split between "yeast", "radical brewing" and "brew like a monk". I was wondering if "radical brewing" was redundant information compare with "how to brew" & "joy". Any thoughts? Suggestions?

"Brewing Classic Styles" (BCS) is my go to being new to this hobby. I'm just going from style to style, and trying to repitch my yeast as I go. Started off with AG with an Ordinary Bitter, then repitched that yeast into a Mild. Really enjoying BCS.

Started out reading "How to Brew" so I'd recommend that one. Once I got my process down I haven't referred back to it, and just use BCS.

I also have "Designing Great Beer" which I'll probably get into once I try to break away from established recipes and try crafting some of my own. At that stage I'm sure I'll move away from BCS, and rely more on Designing Great Beer.

Complete joy of homebrewing is actually a solid book even with all the dated information. There's a ton of recipes that are good starting points for building your own recipes and the charts are still relevant and useful. Most are simple recipes which makes them perfect to expand on.

Designing Great Beers is also good for recipe construction for classic styles.

If you are a fan of any of the styles in Brew Like A Monk/Farmhouse Ales/Wild Brews those books are indispensable.

How to Brew (the actual book)
Yeast
Brew Like a Monk

If you're not as big on Belgians, Designing Great Beers or Brewing Classic Styles.

Back