Bourbon barrel porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
Bourbon Barrel Porter - All Grain Kit
OG: 1065 / Ready: 2 months

Mike Ward, NB's shipping manager, devised this recipe by adding bourbon-infused oak cubes (plus the bourbon) to a stronger-than-average robust porter. Cryptic tasting notes indicate that this may have been the best beer ever. You supply the bourbon; Mike recommends Maker's Mark. The intense aroma and flavor of toasted American oak and the sweet graininess of good bourbon meld with the bittersweet roastiness of porter to make for a very characterful beer.

Inventory | Mashing & Sparging Instructions

ProMash: Summary | .REC

$35.24

On a previous post I mentioned that I made this all grain kit from northern brewer and a few people were interested in knowing how well it turned out.
I ended up using approx. 12 oz. of makers mark bourbon, I think the recipe called for 14 oz. I bought the smaller bottle of bourbon and it converted to about 12 oz. I let it sit in secondary with the oak chips for 9 days and then bottled it yesterday. I tried a sample and it is wonderful, I could easily drink it uncarbonated. The bourbon gives it a nice nutty flavor and the oak is smooth and mellow. I love lots of oak in wine so I probably would have preferred leaving it on the oak at least another week. I let my wife decide when she thought the oak was just right. I can't wait to open a bottle when it's fully carbed. This is definately a great beer and I'm already planning to brew this again soon.

I recently bottled the extract version of this. I used 16 oz. of Jack. I agree about drinking it flat. I got kind of tipsy drinking samples while I was bottling. It's looking to be a very good beer. I am also planning on brewing it again.

I recently bottled the extract version of this. I used 16 oz. of Jack. I agree about drinking it flat. I got kind of tipsy drinking samples while I was bottling. It's looking to be a very good beer. I am also planning on brewing it again.

How long did you leave your's on the oak chips?

I should also add that I used a WLP007 Dry English ale yeast cake from a previous brew instead of the Wyeast #1728 Scottish Ale Yeast that comes with the kit.

Back