Pumkin this....Pumkin that.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's interesting how many variations you can have on a single "style." I was at the Untapped festival this weekend and there were 8 different pumpkin beers. I only had 4 but they were all unique. From the thick and sweet Southern Tier Pumking to the dark and rich Saint Arnold Pumkinator.

Some
Cigar City's Good Gourd is pretty good and probably the one I like the best. It's better if it ages a year or two, usually. So far this year, i've also tried Southern Tier pumpking, New Holland ichabod and a slew of locals. All have ranked meh.
m

Agree on the good gourd, but damn it's expensive. At $13 here for a bomber, it is definitely a special occasion beer.

I also agree most pumpkin beers are "passable" so I've given up on trying them. There are lots of better beers out there worth drinking.

My "F*!#ing Pumpkin Ale" is still one the most requested beers from my family and friends... The keg rarely makes it to Thanksgiving. btw, the name comes from what I'm usually saying when I'm struggling with the sparge... what a PITA...

I LOVE pumpkin pie, but not pumpkin much else. Certainly not pumpkin BEER.

Save the pumpkins for pies and bars. :fro:

Am I the only one that doesn't care for the pumpkin everything? No sir...nope....I don't like it. Hell, I was actually looking forward to something from New Belgium for once. I thought the Red Hoptober was pretty good. But Nooooooo, they came out with a pumpkin ale. The Pumpkin Wars are getting out of hand.... On the bright side, just kegged my own version of the Red Hoptober, and it tastes pretty damn good. So there!!

:mug:

You referring to Pumpkick? To me, thats not pumpkin ale..its some bastardization of Pumpkin and cranberries. Should be called Turkey Day Ale. I tried it and was not a fan. Had a neighbor drink the rest of the sixer and took the bottles for re-use.
If I cannot drink the ale, I might as well re-use the bottles.
:)

Water, barley, hops and yeast.

shivalotus has the best idea. Smoke the pumpkin. Who knows? You might get high.

. . . just keep it out of my beer! :drunk:

I love fall! The colors and leaf covered roads also a good pumpkin beer.

I don't get it either. I enjoy pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, even a pumpkin spice latte. However, I find pumpkin beer repulsive. I even tried Pumking because of all the hype. It was a drainpour.

I'm not fan of pumpkin of any kind. I dont hate it but should it fall off the face of the earth I wouldnt be to heartbroken. That being said I've never had a pumpkin ale and unless some one give me one I most likely never have one

Way too overspiced for my taste. I age them instead. I had one of DFH's from last year and the spices were still to strong. I got a Rumpkin from 2011 so we will see how that goes.

!

image-405755284.jpg

I'm with AnOldUR.

Punkins, fruit, vegetables don't belong in what I consider to be beer. Too much you can do with the real 4 without making it "flavored".

I'm with AnOldUR.

Punkins, fruit, vegetables don't belong in what I consider to be beer. Too much you can do with the real 4 without making it "flavored".

I am with you hate all the cucumber, carrot, hibiscus, watermelon, and raspberry or any fruit or vegetable beer most just taste like crap the best one ever tasted I managed three or four sips before my gag reflex kicked in

I'm with AnOldUR.

Now, I wouldn't go too far. Don't forget, fruit DOES belong in lambics... Not pumpkin, but there is a place for fruit in beer.

Am I the only one that doesn't care for the pumpkin everything? No sir...nope....I don't like it. Hell, I was actually looking forward to something from New Belgium for once. I thought the Red Hoptober was pretty good. But Nooooooo, they came out with a pumpkin ale. The Pumpkin Wars are getting out of hand.... On the bright side, just kegged my own version of the Red Hoptober, and it tastes pretty damn good. So there!!

:mug:

I hated them ALL until.......schlafly and Sammy freaking Adams.

Those 2 beers are AWESOME.

Other than that pumpkin beers suck.

*And my avatar appreciates the quote!*

You referring to Pumpkick? To me, thats not pumpkin ale..its some bastardization of Pumpkin and cranberries. Should be called Turkey Day Ale. I tried it and was not a fan. Had a neighbor drink the rest of the sixer and took the bottles for re-use.
If I cannot drink the ale, I might as well re-use the bottles.
:)

Drinking it now, It isnt very pumpkiny nor highly spiced. That being said since everyone wants to put out their pumpking beers the first part of September when the temps are still warm but just beginning to hint at cooler weather coming, I think it is a good beer for this time of year

Back