Protein Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

left field brewer

Reaction score
I'm making a hefeweisen with just about 55% malted white wheat, and the rest is domestic pils with a little gambrinus honey and munich 10. Is a protein rest necessary, and what should the duration be? About 11.5lbs total grain. Rice hulls necessary with batch sparge?

My heffe yesterday used 60% wheat, protien rest at 124 for 20 minutes...

No rice hulls necessary!

Personally I don't think you need a protein rest. If you are using using fully modified malts (unless you are buying malts that say they aren't, then you are), you do not need a protein rest. In fact using a protein rest with fully modified malts can reduce the boday and head retention of a beer. Single infusion all the way!

I do single infusion, 55% malted wheat 45% German pils, and I don't use hulls, but it depends on your system.

IMHO, doing a protein rest is not necessary in all brews, particlarly in a hefeweisen. A protein rest is used to reduce the possibility of chill haze in your finished product. A wheat beer is usually somewhat hazy anyway.IMHO,There is an impression that ALL modern malts are modified such that a protein rest is not necessary, but this is not necessarily true. If you are brewing an ale, especially an English malt ale, a protein rest is out of the question and detrimental to the brew. But, depending on your malt and style, a protein rest is sometimes very important. A lager using 6 row American malt needs a protein rest for sure. A Scotch ale, using Golden Promice, may need a protein rest depending on the gravity. A German lager or pilsner,using either German or American 2 row, will almost always require a protein rest, and an American lager using American 2 row will always require a protein rest.
Your hefeweisen is fine IMHO, but it all depends on your malt and what you are brewing......:)

Always done a protien rest, my heffes have never been clear at all...

Back