Irish Red Ale smells like Spices from prior batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
So I just kicked a keg of my Spiced Pumpkin Ale. Flushed the lines out and ran some star san through it to sanitize but i think the lines still have the pumpkin ale spice aroma in there. I put an Irish Red on and all I can smell is the aroma of the pumpkin ale still when I pull the irish red. Granted i've only pulled a few small samples to test for carbonation but I am getting that spice aroma. Please tell me this will fade with time. Anyone else ever have issues with something like this?

Did you clean it first? Starsan is a great sanitizer, but is not a cleaner. Some PBW may serve you well the next go round, but I would think the more you pull the more the spices will dissipate.

Don't know then.. I've had fermenting buckets that held a little of the spice smell especially cinnamon and ginger, but went away fairly quickly. Hopefully your case will be the same. Then again, you may have come across the new rage; "Spiced Irish Red"!

Back