What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped my yeast from my amber ale in primary.

Inventoried bottles and deep storage stock. May need TI get another carboy soon to ramp up production.

Drank the last dregs of my pipeline. Time to start brewing again. I gotta go dust off the fall recipe's. I'll have a pumpkin in primary as well as a nice west coast IPA in primary by labor day, I'm thinkin.

Big ol double brewday today. 2 of 3 wedding brews. HopD@mnber! & Cherry Smoked Cherry. Super stoked its all wrapped up, put away. Getting really excited about the big day. No regrets. No second thoughts! Made 22 lbs of sausage last Sunday, brewed 10 gallons of gold today. Knocking em off the list! Happy days !! Currently enjoying my 2nd batch of HopD@ber on this beautiful, productive day. First one turned out so good, I had to brew it again. And again! No way I can leave this keg alone! BrewOn, y'all!!

Has anyone thought about a complement thread for the discussion of "What beer did for me today was ......"

On Friday we had our department meeting (I am a teacher) and our new dean was using phrases like "The bus is going forward and I don't want you to be left behind" and about every education administration catch phrase that comes with this type of degree. By the time I got home had a few pulls of of the keezer I started singing to my 2 year old about how the wheels on the bus go round and round. Made three 5 gallon brews today and feel relaxed enough to keep from pulling my hair out tomorrow at another kick off the school year meeting at 7:30 where we will learn if we get 5 or 10 markers to use for the year.

1. Bottled a batch of red wine (Velopocelli)
2. Racked a batch of white wine(Cali. white)
3. Made up a batch of Red wine (Cab/Sav)
4. Made up a batch of English Best Bitter
5. Racked a batch of Oaked AIPA
6. Rinsed some US-05

pheew!

Checked my AHS Blue Moon clone - day 6, still bubbles in the airlock every 10 - 15 secs.

Picked up a 6-pack of assorted craft brews from Wegmans yesterday, might crack one of them for a tasting.

1. Whent to LHBS bought belgian carmel wit beer and some extra accessories.
2. Got home cleaned everthing, bottled first batch of Robust Porter
3. Brewed up 3rd batch of belgian carmel wit.

Bought ingredients for an ipa I'm going to try for a test. But they were all out of citra, simcoe and amarillo hops. I guess everyone is. Does anyone know of a source? So I may have to get some more stuff and brew a test choc oat stout/ choc mint stout while I wait for those hops.
I also am making a hard cider. Only half gallon I found at my parents. Added some brown sugar and dropped in some champagne yeast. So we'll see what happens. After 10 mins it was already going.

Purchased ingredients for a black wheat I'll be brewing tomorrow. Its my only day off all week, and probably for the next 8-9 days, so I want to make something that will be ready by the time I get my next day off. Might be able to squeeze in another brew day one night this week, so I can make a British Mild to fill another empty keg quick.

Sullenly strolled the very choice beer section at my local grocery feeling unsatisfied. It's just that, now that I can make the exact beer I want to drink, I don't really wanna drink anything else :) I Love supporting small and local business, but let's give it a rest with all the friggin' Pales and IPAs, ok? I know. It's a northwest thing, and I truly love it, but no Alt? Killing me, here! Drinking mine, it's like I woke up or something. Crazy when you amaze yourself. Think I might try a smoked alt next time. Sorry to stray... I BOUGHT NO BEER for beer today. Hooray!

Jumping in late on this one. I picked up a keg that is waiting in the corner to become a brew kettle so I can jump into AG. Also grabbed a 4 back of the localy made stout... for... um..... research, ya thats it research.:mug:

Today I am writing and finalizing recipes for a German cooking class that I will be doing in September to celebrate the opening of Oktoberfest. Each of the dishes will be paired with a different German beer. The menu looks like:

Appetizer:
Lentil soup with ham hocks
Paired with German Hefeweizen

Entree:
Beef Rouladen
Red Cabbage
Späetzle with herbs
Paired with Schwarzbier

Dessert:
Pflaumenkuchen (German plum tart)
Paired with Oktoberfest

I got a local craft beer retailer to sponsor the event. Should be fun.

TimpanogosSlim said:
Do a 1 gallon secondary separate from the rest with cacao nibs for a mole poblano smoked porter

Next I will, I'm only doing a 2.5 right now

Today I'm enjoying the rewards of my labor and love. Yesterday I made 2 WL500 Chimay starters for my two 10 gallon batches tomorrow from 6am-3pm. Going to be brewing up a Belgian Triple and a tweaked version of Raison D'être. During the mash I'll be kegging my •Head Belgian and Hopbacked Citra Pale Ale and a whole lot of cleaning in between.

Well, I went back to work for two weeks to give my beer a time to catch up with my consumption of it! LOL! But in the last few weeks I have: Set up my kegarator in my outdoor bar/screen porch. Bought about 120 lbs of grain and yeast, hops, etc. Brewed an AG cream Ale and an AG amber. Finished a keg of Southern English brown. Tasted my Bourbon Barrel vanilla stout...I left it on oak a little too long but it is good. Needs to mellow out some. Bought 60qt pot. Bought new thermometer. Can't wait til I get home in 14 days so I can keg my brews and hopefully brew a couple more.

sweed said:
Bought ingredients for an ipa I'm going to try for a test. But they were all out of citra, simcoe and amarillo hops. I guess everyone is. Does anyone know of a source? So I may have to get some more stuff and brew a test choc oat stout/ choc mint stout while I wait for those hops.
I also am making a hard cider. Only half gallon I found at my parents. Added some brown sugar and dropped in some champagne yeast. So we'll see what happens. After 10 mins it was already going.

So I found some simcoe, citra, and amarillo. Bought them, and will brew this weekend!

Sampled my Saison with Belgian yeast and my wheat/rye beer using Belgian ardennes yeast. The Saison is down to 1.008 and may be done. I mashed too high by accident at 154. The wheat-rye brew is at 1.016. I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning, hopefully I'll be able to bottle Sunday.

duckredbeard said:
I usually shoot for 154, but end up at 152. 154 isn't too high.

Not in general, but I was at a talk by the brewer from Stillwater Ales Project and he said he likes to mash around 144 in order to get his beer to finish at 1.001

Bought 11.5 lbs of malt and 4 oz of hops for my next brew. Also picked up a case of bottles, a bag of caps, some ball lock stuff for the counterpressure filler, a few brushes, some yeast. Helped the LHBS with some sales while my malt was milled.

Day 7 of my Blue Moon Clone fermentation. Still bubbling along nicely, SG of 1.037 from a OG of 1.063. Still a ways to go. Nice Krausen head:

BMKrausenDay7.jpg

I'd leave the lid on that. Too much risk of infection. At least with a carboy you only have the small opening, and you don't need to open it to see the krausen either, just to take samples. Once I got a second carboy I never used a bucket again.

Oh, and I didn't really do anything for beer today, just checked the clarity of my saison sitting at the entrance to the kitchen. You can't walk by without seeing it.

Made a starter of my washed SF lager yeast and bought some grains from the lhbs so I can brew a CA common this weekend.

Day 7 of my Blue Moon Clone fermentation. Still bubbling along nicely, SG of 1.037 from a OG of 1.063. Still a ways to go. Nice Krausen head:

BMKrausenDay7.jpg

What are you doing removing the lid so early in fermentation :drunk:?? Patience my friend!

Anyways, today i bottled Ed's Robust Porter with 2 vanilla beans, boy was that un-carbonated beer good! Cant wait!

Picked up two 3-gallon plastic carboys to split my porter into a vanilla porter and a bourbon vanilla porter.

I cleaned up from my first ever beer grenade. Had a 22 oz bomber (no pun) explode in my closet, that doubles as my homebrew storage room.

The engineer in me, tried to analyze the debris field for a pattern to reconstruct the tragedy, but no luck. I found splash spots in places that were unimaginable.

Hope this doesn't happen with any of the other ones.

Took the wife to the airport....... undisturbed brewing, drinking, and relaxation for a week!

I looked at my airlock and wondered just how long 3711 will make bubbles. It's been a week and it's still bubbling four times a minute.

Bottled a Belgian-style Pale Ale and am currently brewing my Banaynay Split Imperial Stout. Efficiency was a little off, still trying to dial in the crush on my new mill, but it will still be good. On a good note, though, I got my mash to stop sticking by shortening the dip tube from my false bottom by about 1/8". Now it flows like a dream.

Set up all my gear in the garage, bought all my ingredients, and prepared to teach several people how to homebrew tomorrow. Lets spread the science!!

Back