Does anyone own a Minibrew 6.5?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one, and absolutely love it! Cleaning can be an issue, but I can fit mine in the dishwasher - so it stays spotless... I'm thinking about buying another one.

Although you can find them cheaper... Buy.com has them for $179 before shipping: http://www.buy.com/prod/mini-brew-conical-fermenter-6-5/q/sellerid/21288630/loc/66357/212551383.html

How is cleaning an issue? Because of the narrow opening at the top?

Also how thick are the plastic walls...thicker than a palstic brew bucket? I have a slight concern about the beer oxidizing due to sitting in a plastic container for 3 weeks.

I have one and love it. Not as good as my stainless conical with triclamp fittings, but good none-the-less. The threaded parts make it harder to clean, but you got to love chemicals.
072.jpg

I have one and love it. Not as good as my stainless conical with triclamp fittings, but good none-the-less. The threaded parts make it harder to clean, but you got to love chemicals.
072.jpg

Hey, is your stainless steel one of those conicals that guy on eBay is selling? I've been looking at those too...they look just as good as Blichman's for 1/2 the cost.

Stouts and tanks is where I got mine, and yes I`m also pleased with mine. 2 of my brewing friends have Blichmans and while they are also great, mine for nearly half the price is better IMO as it also comes with tri clamp standard.

The threaded parts make it harder to clean, but you got to love chemicals.
This is why I said that cleaning can be an issue. Nasties can hide in the threads... I soak mine after every brew day, and every third brew day break the whole thing down and throw everything in the dishwasher. Tri-clamps would be better for this...

I bought a giant round clamp to hold down the plastic lid that seems to just sit on the top opening. Is this necessary? Can i just leave the plastic lid sit there with no clamp?
thanks

You don't need to clamp the lid. With an airlock in the hole, all the lid is there is to
keep stuff from falling in. I don't know how much pressure the vessel could take, so
carbonating while fermenting is doubtful.

If you're considering plastic vs stainless, I think there's another company in dallas that
builds the plastic ones too. Check that out as well.

Back