Wings Win!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a Predator fan I am soooo happy that the Sharks beat the Wings in overtime. We got ran over in Vancouver but we have the same amount of wins in the second round:ban:

I don't think I could be a happier guy today! The Predators evened the series up by taking game 2 in Vancouver. I brewed 10 gallons of BM's Three Hearted Ale and the Freakin' Wings got beat by the Sharks:rockin:

Sharks are equal to the task! Looks like a pretty tough fight for both teams so far in this series. Both goaltenders playing great and a good, physical game too.

Revvy said:
Yeah, we've been asking the same thing here in the D all series....

They seem to forget that they actually need to play like they give a f*** om order to win.

That was the first time in this series that the Wings played all 3 periods, and look what happens. We need to carry this confidence and determination to San Jose Thursday.

Even if we don't win game 7, you can bet I'll be proud of this team this year.

TB

That was the first time in this series that the Wings played all 3 periods, and look what happens. We need to carry this confidence and determination to San Jose Thursday.

Even if we don't win game 7, you can bet I'll be proud of this team this year.

TB

Agree!! They would be a really hard team to beat if they played like that all the time.

sendkyleanemail said:
The Red Wings that showed up tonight reminded me of the 96 team and looked very hard to beat!

Yeah, the playoffs didn't go as well as we hoped that year, but they set a mighty precedent with 62 wins in the regular season. Great year. The next two years reflected the talent that was eminent, of course.

Uhh...Wings lose!!!!!

Thank god!

Awww... I love the jealousy! 20 years making the playoffs. Us Wing fans should be proud. The team played well. Wish we had a little more jump in the beginning of the series.

The injuries were starting to hurt us so maybe it is for the best. Who knows how well we would fare with a healthy Vancouver? The last thing we need is to be embarrassed like last year.

They should axe Hudler. I'm starting to think he was hired by Bettman to hinder the team. The Wings need an enforcer. Respect for player safety and sportsmanship goes out the door come playoff time.

I hate to see the Wings play thug hockey, but sometimes you have to throw some fists to keep people from going after your elite players.

I don't think any team that's suffering from injuries would fair well against those thugs in Vancouver. I also think any team that's healthy at the start of a series with them is unlikely to be that way at the end. That's their style, beat the hell out whoever you are playing.
Not saying they have no talent. They wouldn't be in the playoffs if that were the case, but without the the thuggery they wouldn't be there either. I think the sharks are better suited to play Vancouver's style of hockey. If the Wings had won, they would have had to get Vancouver playing there game and that's not easy to do.

njnear76 said:
:rockin: Yeah I forgot that phrase. Obviously the Wings have made the playoffs many more times than that. Heh.

I assumed you knew that; I just thought I would put some emphasis on it for those who somehow overlook the merits of respect for Detroit's hockey organization.

tbel said:
I don't think any team that's suffering from injuries would fair well against those thugs in Vancouver. I also think any team that's healthy at the start of a series with them is unlikely to be that way at the end. That's their style, beat the hell out whoever you are playing.
Not saying they have no talent. They wouldn't be in the playoffs if that were the case, but without the the thuggery they wouldn't be there either. I think the sharks are better suited to play Vancouver's style of hockey. If the Wings had won, they would have had to get Vancouver playing there game and that's not easy to do.

The sharks played a very similar game against us. It did wear down our guys. Frankly, though, without Niemi, the Sharks wouldn't have had a chance in hell this past series. I can't tell you how many times he made several HUGE saves one after another to give his team an opportunity to stay in the game, and even overcome deficits. Gotta give him some real credit.

Reminds me of Calgary's cup run from a couple of years a go. Jesus. They were sacrificing their own players to get ahead. It was bloody. They played with a lot of heart, but they were thugs all the way through.

I'm wondering what the Wings are going to look like next year especially if Lidstrom does not come back.

The Predators just got done with a series again Vancouver and the only think I have to know is what the heck are you guys talking about? Vancouver played well against Nashville and I never once said any thug behavior. They don't even play a very tough style of play. Without Ryan Kessler the Preds would have won that series. Watch some of the Vancouver games before calling them out:mug:

The Predators just got done with a series again Vancouver and the only think I have to know is what the heck are you guys talking about? Vancouver played well against Nashville and I never once said any thug behavior. They don't even play a very tough style of play. Without Ryan Kessler the Preds would have won that series. Watch some of the Vancouver games before calling them out:mug:
Apparently we have different ideas of what thuggery is. I generally watch about 8-10 games a week and have seen Vancouver play plenty of times. I'm not saying they are the dirtiest team in the NHL, but they have a very physical style of play.

Oh and by the way the Preds aren't exactly a finesse team either.

Finishing a check is not thuggery. Open ice hits and making guys pay in the corners is what a lot of coaches teach. Hit that defensive man hard a couple of times and he may not be able to concentrate when he goes into the corner late in the game. That is what hockey is all about. It isn't ballet:mug:

1234 said:
Finishing a check is not thuggery. Open ice hits and making guys pay in the corners is what a lot of coaches teach. Hit that defensive man hard a couple of times and he may not be able to concentrate when he goes into the corner late in the game. That is what hockey is all about. It isn't ballet:mug:

That's the standard regular season definition. It changes during the playoffs, and some teams get away with more than others.

The **** Joe Thornton got away with against Zberg and Pav after the whistle was just low and despicable. No, thanks, I'd rather win legitimately than have my team lower themselves to that level.

Don't get me wrong, playoff hockey is by far more physical, but there is a difference between finishing checks, scrums in front of the net, etc, versus waiting until the period end to try and play batter up with someone's Achilles heel.

Won't argue with that.

I just think BOTH Van. and the Preds. push the envelope. Things happen after the whistle that are borderline. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. Just saying that's their style and any team they are playing either has to throw them off that type of game or keep up. For a team like Detroit (with some older players, and some Finesse players) it would wear them down.:mug:

that's the standard regular season definition. It changes during the playoffs, and some teams get away with more than others.

The **** joe thornton got away with against zberg and pav after the whistle was just low and despicable. No, thanks, i'd rather win legitimately than have my team lower themselves to that level.

Don't get me wrong, playoff hockey is by far more physical, but there is a difference between finishing checks, scrums in front of the net, etc, versus waiting until the period end to try and play batter up with someone's achilles heel.
+1

+2

Deliberate attempts at taking down a player are not cool.

Finish your check by all means.

Flat out attacking a player should be a 4 minute penalty.

njnear76 said:
Awww... I love the jealousy! 20 years making the playoffs. Us Wing fans should be proud. The team played well. Wish we had a little more jump in the beginning of the series.

The injuries were starting to hurt us so maybe it is for the best. Who knows how well we would fare with a healthy Vancouver? The last thing we need is to be embarrassed like last year.

They should axe Hudler. I'm starting to think he was hired by Bettman to hinder the team. The Wings need an enforcer. Respect for player safety and sportsmanship goes out the door come playoff time.

I hate to see the Wings play thug hockey, but sometimes you have to throw some fists to keep people from going after your elite players.

I'm really happy the Wings lost too, but not out of jealousy - you start to get jealous of EVERYONE when your home team is the Leafs! I just wanted to see the Sharks win, though ultimately I'm rooting for the Canucks.

I have to admit though that Detroit is definitely the most well-run team of the past few decades. They may not always win, but their consistency in giving their fans a solid team year after year after is staggering and, as far as I can tell, otherwise unheard of. It's shameful that a team bringing in as much money as Toronto doesn't even come close.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to call Vancouver 'Nuckleheads. They just got done playing a very physical team in Nashville, and the series didn't even seem particularly physical. But if you were watching the first round series between Nashville and Anaheim, the Predators were pretty much beating up the much bigger Ducks team the entire time. Heck, the Sedins are well-known for the ease with which they can be knocked off the puck (granted though, they've been improving in this aspect over years, although they've been astonishingly lousy during these playoffs so far, and could be the reason Vancouver doesn't win the Cup this year.)

That being said, the NHL is a very physical league, and the playoffs even much more so. Interestingly enough, a big reason for this is the small size of NHL arenas and the closer style of play it necessitates. If you want less physical play (and I enjoy both kinds - I'm hardly the kind of spectator that gets excited every time a player drops his gloves), watch European or international hockey instead. I believe the IIHF is still going on right now? But Vancouver doesn't really stand out a lot from other teams in this regard, and Detroit, easily the most successful team for the last quarter-century, have clearly managed to hold their own despite the physical play of the NHL. If it can be seen as maybe a good thing that they didn't continue on to (a supposedly "thuggish") Vancouver, missing out on a shot at another Cup simply because they might not be able to handle a physical series, then what is the point of even bothering to play at all? Judging by their impressive attempt at a comeback, I'm pretty sure they didn't see the point either.

Whoa... I have not watched enough Vancouver games lately to comment on their style of play.

Just saying that without Bertuzzi and Miller (both concussions), the Wings would be hampered. The Mule is still not up to his old form to make the difference.

Teams get the piss taken out of them during the playoffs. Some wear worse.

So sharks advance. I lost track of the west and was surprised to see them seeded so high.

For detroit fans, all I can say is at least your season didn't end like my Flyers. That was painful.

Back