Thoughts on aging a DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewinator

Reaction score
I recently made what would be considered my first big beer. I made a DIPA that started at 1.080 and has fermented down to 1.010, its been in primary for a month. I used a lot of late addition hops for aroma and flavor and plan to dry hop it in the keg.

I have read plenty about the merits of aging bigger beers but I also do not want all my late addition hops to fade into the background. Last hydro sample I took tasted good, no harsh alcohol burn or anything, just smooth hop bitterness and flavor.

I am seeking opinions on dry hopping and kegging it now vs letting it sit another 2-4 weeks.

Thanks.

If it's good now, I'm not sure what the question is :D

IPAs aren't typically aged for exactly the reasons you're describing. I have always drunk my DIPAs nice and young, and the few that have been aged didn't gain much for it.

DH & keg. Aging-NO!

I've aged a couple bottles of IPA/IIPAs and the results are beautiful in the glass but lacking in the nose. So much of an American IPAs character is the hop flavor/aroma. Anything done to diminish this has a negative impact on the brew. If aged for several months even in a fridge what you wind up with is a very bitter beer with subdued hop character.

Schlante,
Phillip

I've made some hoppy beers that got better with age, it really all depends. If it's good now I say go ahead and drink it but bottle a little, age it and see.

Thanks for the replies, I was set on dry hopping this weekend and kegging but then I had a little bit of doubt on it. Guess I will crack open the amarillo, citra, and simcoe I just got a couple days ago and give it a good healthy dose and let it carb up.

Back