Oversparge or wrong grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdouche-RuBrew

Reaction score
Help, Opinions please. Particularly if you have used black DE-husked malt.

I made a 12 gallon batch "kitchen sink" stout with following things:

3#Flaked barley
3#crystal wheat
2#black malt - (carafa II weyerman)
9oz wet Tetnang & 11oz wet Mt.hood
DME to 1.040 OG 60 minute boil
Notty yeast 69dF

It was awesome. Tasted exactly like Yeungling black&tan
-------now it's gone:(

I tried to recreate it with this

As a 15 gallon batch all grains linear increase with 2-row malt AG:

3.75#Flaked barley
375#crystal wheat
2.5#black malt - (carafa II weyerman)
12#2-row - {AG batch sparge} 15gallon run off 2 gallon water added to pot.
29oz wet Tetnang {equal AlphaAcids}
1.040 OG 60 minute boil
Notty yeast 69dF

I taste similar, but like unsweetened tea bite. TANNINS, I can taste em. I shouldn't have oversparged though. Ran off to 1.010 SP, and it tasted sweet, but a little bitter. Tasted the same going into the fermenter, but the malt suger must have hiden "IT" from my taste budz. Same OG 1.040. I am already trying to save it in secondary by diluting, and refermenting with a nuetral malt base by 15%. I need to know though for the next batch.

I actually suspect from the flavor difference that I may not have been sent "DE-hesked" black malt.....:mad:
Would that acount for the flavor difference?

Or....did I not do a proper reformulation?

Opinions, guess's, observations please!!!:eek:

You can't really be putting 29 oz of hops into your beer? That would account for any bitterness. I doubt you got the wrong malt and 2.5# is not excessive in a 15 gal. batch. It is possible your all grain beer is simply young, and three weeks from now that bitterness will disappear. This is something you don't come across in extract based beers as much.

1.010 is not really that low that you would have extracted lots of tannins; especially in a stout.

I wouldn't touch anything, just let it age a few more weeks and see if it gets better.

You can't really be putting 29 oz of hops into your beer? That would account for any bitterness. I doubt you got the wrong malt and 2.5# is not excessive in a 15 gal. batch. It is possible your all grain beer is simply young, and three weeks from now that bitterness will disappear. This is something you don't come across in extract based beers as much.

1.010 is not really that low that you would have extracted lots of tannins; especially in a stout.

I wouldn't touch anything, just let it age a few more weeks and see if it gets better.

29oz of "WET" hops so divide by 5 and multiply by .6 equals 3.48oz dry t90 pellets "APROXIMATLY"
I got 50#'s of wet frozen vacum packed hops in my freezer, from a friend I'm helping test a hop farm. Thats a hard buiz to break into.

ANYWAY... I will let it age. I think I did let the first one age, but not because I thought I should I just needed a few weeks before I could get back to it.

NEW REALIZATION?!?
In regards to this recipe experiment.

I was listening to an "Adjunct" topic brew audio, when it hit me...

The flaked barley is converted in the all grain mash, but not in the extract steep.

How would that affect the taste?
I took hydro & refract readings throughout which explains why the gravity at run-off was a little higher than expected.

But, what would the unconverted starches do in a beer to the flavor?
Since its black you cant see it, and it really haddent occured to me till now.

So now can I really expect it to mellow in a couple weeks?

Latest posts

Back