coolant line help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puckjer

Reaction score
i have a full size fridgidaire refrigerator i am converting to a kegerator. i will be installing twin tap faucets on the side of the fridge and want to make sure before i drill that there arent any coolant lines running where my drill holes will be. what is the easiest way to figure this out? can the manufacturer provide this info? or is there another easy way to tel.

good luck with this question. I posted the same question last week and STILL no response. I asked if there was a site/place for the info and nobody responded. My fridge was made in '85 and it appears that no one has or wants to give up any documentation on it. If you find a please please let me know as I will let you know also.

I am looking to drill my side walls for a co2 line and can't get anybody to let me know if there are any coolant lines there. One guy said use the corn starch method. on a top i can see where that will work fine, but on a side might be difficult. Just need to know if there are any lines there, not necessarily where.

Good luck

There is no central repository for "Here's where the lines are in xxxxx fridge"

It would be great if there was, but there's not.

Look up the kegerator build threads for info on using cornstarch and water/alcohol to locate the lines.

Or you can drill/cut through the metal and carefully chip away at the insulation to make sure there's nothing there.

Sorry - There's no good answer.

There is no central repository for "Here's where the lines are in xxxxx fridge"

It would be great if there was, but there's not.

Look up the kegerator build threads for info on using cornstarch and water/alcohol to locate the lines.

Or you can drill/cut through the metal and carefully chip away at the insulation to make sure there's nothing there.

Sorry - There's no good answer.

But there is an answer. EVERY service/repair company can pull up the schematics and specs of virtually ANY appliance including refrigerators. Getting them to do it is like pulling teeth. I called one and they told me I had to contact a commercial refrigeration company, i asked "For a 25 year old residential refrigerator?"
He said sorry can't help you I asked, "Can't or wont?" he said correct.

SURLEY there is a member of this forum who has access to these repair databases and can call up a model number and help out.

My frige has external coils running up the back. SIMILAR models on ApplianceParts.com show NO coolant lines in the side walls of the cabinet schematics. I just cant find the info on MY specific model.

I tried the cornstarch method, and all it did was make a bigass mess. So instead, I figured out where I wanted my holes on the INSIDE. I drilled through the plastic very carefully, then widened the hole carefully with a hole saw (without the central drill bit). I did this by holding the hole saw in my hand, not in a drill. I used it to tunnel through the insulation and picked out insulation bit by bit to ensure there were no coolant lines. Once that was done, I drilled through the outer steel wall.

A bit of a PITA, but it worked just fine.

Back