Catastrophe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp

Reaction score
i was making beer today, was 99% finished, and while winching the kettle on my 3-tier christmas tree rig up to position to drain into the fermenters, the winch cable broke, the keggle plummeted down and broke the welds on the attachment hooks and spilled all 11 gallons and 12 oz of hops out into the driveway.

The steel cable on the winch gets subjected to a lot of heat from the upper burner, and was obviously degraded as a result. Live and learn.

Oh well, it was a beautiful day to be puttering around mantown (my driveway and garage), but still . . .

And here I thought the whole point of a 3-tier structure was to eliminate lifting of heavy pots.

You'd need either a taller 3-tier, or a 4 tier. You still gotta get it out of the BK into the fermenter. I use a manual boat winch that pulls up a sliding mechanism to which the keg is attached, and it has worked great until today :(.

Thanks all for your condolences. I was proud of my calm reaction - I really didn't even curse (much).

The things that really piss me off end up being paper cuts or slow drivers in the left lane. Broken arms and fingers that get cut off and car accidents end up being handled pretty well. Not sure why that is.

The things that really piss me off end up being paper cuts or slow drivers in the left lane. Broken arms and fingers that get cut off and car accidents end up being handled pretty well. Not sure why that is.
That is so true for me as well. I am making progress in dealing more gracefully with the truly trivial things as well, but its not always easy.
Not that 10 gallons of beer is really a big deal either, but it was kind of dramatic as it flooded down the driveway:)

Latest posts

Back