Beer and Scotch Pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
It might sound silly pairing alcohol with more alcohol, but my late grandfather drank "a beer and a shot" pretty much every day for over 60 years, and it's become a bit of a tradition and favourite drink of mine.

I thought this would be a good place to get a few ideas about brewing a beer with a scotch in mind.

Has anyone done this? Any general thoughts? Personally I've found that high quality lagers and lighter ales with firm carbonation work well, they seem to cleanse the palate and the alcohol of the scotch seems to bring out subtle grainy flavours in the beer. Scotch and Guiness however, is less than ideal!

Some of the scotches in my collection include various highland parks, lagavulin, laphroaig, macallan, benriach, glendronach, compass box etc.. I don't have a specific pairing in mind, nor am I looking for a recipe, just thoughts that you might have or considerations.

Cheers

Back