Silly question - old sainitized water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I just have to see this in print.

If I store some equipment in . . lets say a solution of Starsan and the starsan ages for a week or so and turns . . .bad. Can the equipment (like spigots and so forth) IN the dead sanitized water get infected??

I'm not talking months but just long enough for any sanitizing to go bad.

By 'bad', do you mean it turned cloudy or the pH was above 3? Just dose with more StarSan to bring it back to normal.

Yea - turned cloudy. I was just curious is leaving something in the solution (also called being lazy and not pouring it out) would have any harmful effects.

If its cloudy, that doesn't mean its bad. Where I live, StarSan will turn the water cloudy in less than 20 min. The pH is less than 3 though, so I'm alright. You might want to test the pH before you automatically say cloudy StarSan has gone bad.

I doubt anything soaking in it will be infected (if the StarSan is bad) Nothing a quick rinse and a shot of fresh sanitizer won't fix.

Yeah - if you have hard water, the solution will go cloudy very quickly. As long as it's reading below 3, it's effective as a sanitizer.

I mix up a 5 gallon batch of StarSan solution and store it in a Culligan water bottle with distilled water - last time I made StarSan was approximately 6 months ago. :)

My water isn't that bad it turns cloudy after 3 days. Doesn't mean its still not working its just the surfactants clinging to the minerals in the water. I bypass this now by using distilled water stays clear forever I just use PH strips after its been sitting a long time but I haven't yet had to add any Star-San to the bottle

Since I have started running my tap water through a carbon filter for brewing, the starsan solution has remained much clearer. It used to be cloudy in a matter of minutes.

Back