Is my yeast out of date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psymon

Reaction score
I am brewing my 6th batch of coopers beer and when i put the yeast in it looked different to normal and was sticking to the edge of the satchel which had never happened before. It has now been over a day and I am having no activity in my airlock, I know what ppl will say, be patient and it will happen but I have made this beer the same as my other 6 batches and they all started bubbling in a few hours.

Is it safe to add more (Fresh) yeast to the brew now?

Im using a dry yeast that comes with the kit.

I have also noticed a few white blobs on the edge of the brewing unit which i have never seen before... it couldbe sugar that got stuck to the edge i guess... ??

Thanks!!!!

Is it safe to add more (Fresh) yeast to the brew now?

I pitched first Wyeast, no activity the day after, I then pitched the yeast that came with the brew kit. The beer turned out great. I even stirred it violently as it was my first batch. Know now that oxygen has to be added before you pitch the yeast.

I'd let it sit for a few more days before adding new yeast. I've found Cooper yeast to be very different from pack to pack.. some packs start slow (2-3 days) and some start fermenting very fast.. (6 hours)

I've pitched Wyeast with nothing for 3 days.

HOWEVER - yea - it's safe to add more yeast. Maybe not necessary but safe-ish.

All brews are different and look different.

Back