10" Banjo Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwain

Reaction score
I bought 2 of these burners. I posted several questions about burner heights/adjustments etc. It seems that everyone has adjusted their's a little different, like most HB things. I tried several different arrangements and here are some of the things that I learned:
* The burner face is about 4" from the bottom of the keggle.
* I put a windscreen from the keggle seat to about 4" below the burner.
* I drilled out all of the burner holes with a drill bit that was just smaller
than the holes.
* I am using one of the 30 psi adjustable regulators.
* I spent about 20 minutes adjusting the air/fuel ratio to get the "perfect"
blue flame that stays just under the "rim" of the keggle.
* I started with 65F water.
* A five gallon boil will get to a rolling boil in about 24 minutes.
* A 12.5 gallon boil will get to 160F in about 40 minutes and a good rolling
boil in 65 minutes.
* Boil times don't really vary with or without a lid.
* It is "whisper" quiet.
I think this is a little slow compared to some of the threads that I've read on here. What do ya'll think? All questions/comments/concerns welcome. - Dwain

dwain,
if you've seen this thread:

You know me. I just ordered the new banjo burner and am concerned 4" is too far from my keggle to produce a good boil with efficient fuel use. Your specs sound great and encouraging. When I get my burner (shipped last week) I'll try what you suggest as it sounds right. Wind screen/guard, dialing in the gas flow, and you saying it is whisper quiet is especially encouraging - thanks. I'll post when I get mine as I think the new version (is it the kab6 or something, it ends in a 6) looks good for us.
chris

I bought 2 of these burners. I posted several questions about burner heights/adjustments etc. It seems that everyone has adjusted their's a little different, like most HB things. I tried several different arrangements and here are some of the things that I learned:
* The burner face is about 4" from the bottom of the keggle.
* I put a windscreen from the keggle seat to about 4" below the burner.
* I drilled out all of the burner holes with a drill bit that was just smaller
than the holes.
* I am using one of the 30 psi adjustable regulators.
* I spent about 20 minutes adjusting the air/fuel ratio to get the "perfect"
blue flame that stays just under the "rim" of the keggle.
* I started with 65F water.
* A five gallon boil will get to a rolling boil in about 24 minutes.
* A 12.5 gallon boil will get to 160F in about 40 minutes and a good rolling
boil in 65 minutes.
* Boil times don't really vary with or without a lid.
* It is "whisper" quiet.
I think this is a little slow compared to some of the threads that I've read on here. What do ya'll think? All questions/comments/concerns welcome. - Dwain

Here is some information for comparison. I have (2) jet burners from Brinkmann Turkey Fryers. I just finished fabricating my frame and mounting the burners. They are both mounted 2.25" below the bottoms of converted 15G Sanke Keggles. Last night, I tested the time to bring 10G of water from tap (80F summer in GA) to boiling (212F). It took 64 minutes for the HLT burner and 72 minutes for the Boil Kettle burner. Much longer than I expected but brew days are never from tap to boiling. I would like to upgrade the burner down the road but want to go the natural gas route. I don't want to drain a propane tank every time I brew.

Cheers!

IMG-20110718-00176.jpg

IMG-20110718-00180.jpg

IMG-20110718-00182.jpg

IMG-20110718-00188.jpg

80toBoil.jpg

Also, since I've never really brewed with anyone else, I have never really known if I have my burner at the right level.

Back