Brew Hauler and Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
It's getting to be that time of the year when I will be forced to use my 60qt cooler to ferment in. I've been looking in to buying a couple Brew Haulers for ease of transport for my carboys. The question is that once I have the hauler on my carboy it will then be submerged in water for 2+ weeks. Does anyone think this will weaken the straps at all or does anyone have experience using the hauler and an ice bath? Thanks.

Well, IMHO, the hauler is made of nylon webbing, like a back pack strap. I have taken my packs into some of the worst weather imaginable and never had a problem. If it was an organic fiber of some sort, I might worry, but it's a synthetic fiber, so I wouldn't. They are made to take the weight of a full carboy dry but I think that they should still have great strength when they are wet. The fibers really can't absorb water. That's just my 2¢.

You might want to put just a little bit of bleach in the water to keep the bacteria at bay just so you don't get any scum growing on them. I've never tried it but may help.

I have had mine in water for up to a month (I got lazy) with no probelms. But I would not add any bleach. I would be more worried that the bleach would start eating away at the fibers. You can just take them and wash them when your done.

Depends on the milk crate ;)
KCE7741937BJRX.jpg

I have used milk crates (plastic) in water baths and that does work fine as well, though I do plan to get some brew-haulers so that the carboys will take up less room.

Back