True Brew Beer Kit - First time to brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sverige82

Reaction score
I bought one of these today - True Brew Beer Kit, Brown Ale - and just finished "brewing" it. It's currently in the fermenter as we speak....it's my first time ever to brew.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these kits, if so, how'd it turn out? I know its probably the easiest kit on the market, but i thought i'd start at the bottom and work my way up.

The one thing that confused me most, was that it came w/ a package of Malto-Dextrin 8 ounces...On the package of M-D it says usage 4 ounces / 5 gallon beer. Why would they give me 8 ounces if i'm only using 4 ounces? It came w/ priming sugar so its not used for bottling...just curious about this. I only used 4 ounces...and my first gravity was normal...

Just wondering if anyone had any experience w/ this.

My first experience with brewing was the Tru Brew Kits... I thought they were very good, and I think I brewed at least 10 of their kits. Each one was very easy to drink.

Sounds like a packaging mistake with the malto-dextrin... glad you went by the instructions, not the packing list!!!

I think you'll be happy with the beer and you'll be yearning for more beer knowledge. Now I'm brewing AG and enjoying every brew!! Good luck.

It's perfectly ok to use 8 ounces in five gallons but it's always best to follow the directions with those kits. Save the other 4 ounces for another brew. BTW, maltodextrin is non-fermentable so I wouldn't think it would do you much good for bottling.

<Edited>

Meant to type something into the search bar. Oops.

Back