Fermentation chamber: Window unit vs dorm fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be working on my fermentation chamber over the next couple of weeks. My plan is to build a two-chambered unit, with a cold side and a warm side. Each side should be able to fit 2-3 carboys.

I plane on making two different "walls" to slide between the two sides - one will have two fans to circulate cool air into the warm side (these fans will be controlled). I'll slide in the other wall when I'm not using the warm side - it will be solid.

I have a (~4/5 CF) dorm fridge I can use, but I'm concerned that it's going to have trouble getting the increased volume down to lagering temperatures. Is this an issue I should be concerned about? If it is, should I be scouring Craigslist for an expensive window unit to install instead?

The chamber will be in my basement, which stays ~65-68F in the summer.

Judging by the system size of a small dorm fridge, I dont think it will keep up enough for the volume for 3 5 gallon kegs. Even well insulated with blue board, you would be asking a lot from a small ferigeration system like that. A small room with a wall type cooling system might be a much better alternative efficiency and size wise. You could still do it as a split system, but could use a closet or othe suitable niche, with a couple of layers of blue board. Biggest thing with an AC is a condensate drain especially in Fl and the added noise. If it in a seperate garage or workshop area, then it isn't such an issue. You couls alwayd build a sturdy closet on wheels pretty easilly and roll it around your brew area as needed like a big ole nascar sized (or smaller) toolbox. Just thinkin out loud since I am going to be at that threshold again soon enough to start considering it now. By the time I get to building that part it will probably be winter and I will have plenty of time to build and perfect the upper temp limits and control for the warmer section of the hot/cold controller.
WCB

The ferm chamber I built not too long ago is big enough for ~5 carboys, and the 4cf fridge seemed to have trouble holding all that air down at 60. When I put a dividing wall into it to just ferment two carboys, close to the fridge, its working like a champ. I've got a thread with pics for you to get an idea of the size of the chamber and fridge.

Are you lagering in it?

I haven't been lagering in it currently. It's currently in a non temperature controlled garage that has been above 90 degrees recently. I have been able to maintain 65 degrees in the top and left chambers and 40 degrees in the freezer section. I'm sure in the winter I would have no issues lagering and I'm sure it would have no issues in a basement either.

Hi

I think you will be able to find a cheap chest freezer that would do the job pretty well. About the only mod you would need is a $20 temperature controller.

Bob

Only thing is, that wouldn't give me the cold temperature striations I would like - just cold or not.

You could build a box off of the chest freezer and pipe the cold air to it via ducts and fans. I've seen that approach here, not sure how it works.

Alternatively, you could put all of your carboys into a chest freezer, and use brew-belts to keep the warmer stuff warm.

How about you, Rundownhouse?

I have a dedicated lagering/conditioning freezer, so I haven't tried. With the divider in the workbench ferm chamber, I could maybe get it in the low 50s and ferment a lager. No way if I was trying to do the whole thing.

You could build a box off of the chest freezer and pipe the cold air to it via ducts and fans. I've seen that approach here, not sure how it works.

Alternatively, you could put all of your carboys into a chest freezer, and use brew-belts to keep the warmer stuff warm.
Yeah, building a divider and then hooking up a fan near the bottom to push from cold side to warm side and then a fan near the top to pull warm side to cool side could work.

Only thing is, that wouldn't give me the cold temperature striations I would like - just cold or not.

Hi

You could set it to just about anywhere you wanted to be. The $20 controllers will heat as well, just add a light bulb.

If the idea is to have multiple well controlled tempertures all at the same time - that's going to take a lot of fiddling. I suspect the hassle factor will get to you pretty quick.

Bob

Hi

You could set it to just about anywhere you wanted to be. The $20 controllers will heat as well, just add a light bulb.

If the idea is to have multiple well controlled tempertures all at the same time - that's going to take a lot of fiddling. I suspect the hassle factor will get to you pretty quick.

Bob

You obviously underestimate my ability to be hassled :D

I do control system programming for a living (Crestron and AMX), and I'm going to use an AMX processor to handle the controls for heating and cooling, whichever way I head. It looks like I may be heading in a direction of glycol-chilling a water bath for my carboys. I can use the control system to open and close solenoid valves for the chilling, and I'll use aquarium heaters for the warming.

You obviously underestimate my ability to be hassled :D

I do control system programming for a living (Crestron and AMX), and I'm going to use an AMX processor to handle the controls for heating and cooling, whichever way I head. It looks like I may be heading in a direction of glycol-chilling a water bath for my carboys. I can use the control system to open and close solenoid valves for the chilling, and I'll use aquarium heaters for the warming.

Hi

If you are going that fancy, I suspect you will need quite a few BTU's of cooling capacity.

Bob

Hi

I just finished putting one of these together for silly reasons related to storing BGE stuff rather than beer. After getting it done, it looks like it might make a pretty good box for a fermentation chamber:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_322576-7512...lifetime+deck+box&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

It has a little brother:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54276-75128...lifetime+deck+box&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

Both are reasonably sturdy and the lid is actually pretty heavy duty. I'm not at all tiny and it goes nowhere when I sit on it. They are both good enough looking that the garage will not be downgraded to "slum" by their appearance.

The HDPE walls aren't good enough insulation by themselves, but it's a start. A bit of foam board should get them up to snuff pretty quick.

The only real issue I see is the 24" internal height. A lot would depend on just how tall your fermentation vessels and air locks are.

Bob

Back