Fruit Fly on Airlock fell into Beer - Yikes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
I am five days into fermentation of what I hope to be a killer batch of american pale ale.

Tonight, I went to switch out the blow off tube back to an airlock for another five days or so to ensure fermentation is complete.

There was a small black "spec" where the blow off tube and neck of the carboy come together and I couldn't quite tell if it was actually a dead fruit fly or not. I have noticed a few buzzing around over the last few days, but it hasn't been that big of a problem.

I gently eased the blow off tube out of the carboy and "drop". In went the black spec before I could reach it.

I'm freaking out. Am I okay? Should I rack it to secondary? Leave it alone? Or, am I screwed? :confused:

Thanks everyone.

Good news, the fruit fly couldn't possibly drink the whole batch.

With you being 5 days in, it's doubtful it would infect anything that would hurt the beer, but you could try to turkey baste it out if it bothers you. Otherwise, rename your brew Diptera Pale Ale, and celebrate your friends chugging it with the "special ingredient."

New name "American fruit fly ale" won't hurt anything. Just don't tell your friends that help you drink it.

Back