First BIAB! Inspired by Brewing TV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
I have been an all grain brewer for about a year now (about 10 batches under my belt), but after watching the latest Brewing TV I was inspired to try BIAB. It looked simple and I like the idea of a 3 gallon batch. I hit my pre volume gravity and I am in the middle of my boil now. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

A Simple English Mild.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewingtv/

Congrats! I started out all grain by doing a 3 gallon BIAB since I didn't know if I could do any bigger on my kitchen stove and didn't want to make a big investment in all grain only to find that I hated doing them. Mine came out tasty.

Plan on doing my first BIAB this weekend after watching that video. How was your efficiency? Looks nice and easy.

Plan on doing my first BIAB this weekend after watching that video. How was your efficiency? Looks nice and easy.

65%

I followed the steps they did in the video and just "tea bagged" the grains every little bit to circulate the water. Didn't rinse them at the end. I used the default Beer Smith 2 BIAB calculations for water volume and temp and they came out perfect. I did a English Mild at 1.034 OG. So it was a really small beer.

I was also inspired by the latest BTV. I'm going to do an ordinary bitter when I have keg space, but I'm going to try and rinse the grains or do a quick batch sparge in another pot.

I was also inspired by the latest BTV. I'm going to do an ordinary bitter when I have keg space, but I'm going to try and rinse the grains or do a quick batch sparge in another pot.

Cool! I'm doing an ordinary bitter on Thursday. I think the main thing is to find your consistency and then be consistent with your process.

Latest posts

Back