Attaching wheels to my new Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love this site!

I got a scratch and dent 5 cu ft Holiday freezer at Lowes for my conversion. Had a dent in the top, but was marked down $50 so I grabbed it. I've already built my collar, which is very heavy.

I want to have wheels on this thing so I can move it between my garage and my deck for parties. I'm trying to avoid going the platform route if possible. I got some steel plate, some heavy duty casters, some bolts, and some epoxy. My plan was to attach the casters to the steel plate, then screw the steel plate into the bottom of the freezer where the 'legs' are. It works, but I'm not convinced it will hold all the weight I need it to hold. I'm thinking the metal on these freezers is not really designed to take the stress a few kegs will put on it. I'm guessing the screws will eventually rip out.

Has anyone had experience attaching wheels to a Holiday 5 cu ft model? Is there a better way to do this?

I appreciate the help

B-Boy

Looks like I might end up doing the same thing.

I don't trust the setup I've got right now. It works with the collar and an empty freezer, but adding a few kegs will probably push it beyond it's limits. I'd hate to have the whole thing collapse on me in the middle of the night. Thanks!

rather than doing a full platform, i was planning to make a square from some angle iron that would allow the freezer to sit just inside the upward lip. then weld the plates to that square frame, and attach the wheels to that. the feet of the freezer would probably rest on the plates, rather than letting the weight of the freezer lay on the angle iron. think of a metal bed frame, except going all the way around, instead of having some of the beams go underneath.

I went ahead and built the platform from wood. It will work, but the whole thing is like 5 inches taller than it used to be.

I like the metal idea. Wish I could weld or I'd give that a try. Unfortunately my skills are limited to wood, glue, and screws. My Grandfather always told me I should have gone to school for welding rather than 'messing' with computers. I think he may have been right. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I knew how to weld.

+1 on the wood platform ... I'm using a collar on my keezer, and the platform raises up the faucets to a nice height ... and it only adds about 2" above the casters alone (1.5" for the 2x4s and 1/2" for the plywood).

Wow - these freezers are pretty cheaply made. I was wiring up my love controller and had my laptop sitting precariously on my collar (dumb thing to do) because I was looking at a wiring diagram. I bumped it with my elbow and it fell into the freezer. The laptop was fine, but the bottom of the freezer has a dent the size of my fist in it.

Do they line these things with aluminum foil? They sure don't take any abuse very well. I'm worried about what could happen if I ever drop a keg.

Wish I could weld or I'd give that a try. Unfortunately my skills are limited to wood, glue, and screws. My Grandfather always told me I should have gone to school for welding rather than 'messing' with computers. I think he may have been right. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I knew how to weld.

I know what you mean. Im a computer nerd too, but my father in law is more than willing to teach me, and i think when i pick this project up it will be my time to try and get at least a little experience under my belt.

Do they line these things with aluminum foil? They sure don't take any abuse very well. I'm worried about what could happen if I ever drop a keg.

Thats why I'm seriously considering putting a sheet of the bathroom wall stuff on the bottom, its basically a flexible sheet of plastic, about 1/4 inch thick meant to go up in place of tile in showers and the like. should help alot with distributing loads.

I went ahead and built the platform from wood. It will work, but the whole thing is like 5 inches taller than it used to be.

I like the metal idea. Wish I could weld or I'd give that a try.

you had started it with metal - you could lay a piece of plywood in the bottom of the freezer (to minimize denting, then climb in - if it will hold you, it will probably hold the kegs - at 8.5lb/gallon (water is 8.3) four full cornies would weigh in at 170 plus the weight of the corny (8.5) ...= 195

and ... welding four casters on a metal plate - then simply place the freezer on the metal plate - that welding shouldn't run you much. Try an HVAC shop (sometimes welding shops can be a bit pricey).

rather than doing a full platform, i was planning to make a square from some angle iron that would allow the freezer to sit just inside the upward lip. then weld the plates to that square frame, and attach the wheels to that. the feet of the freezer would probably rest on the plates, rather than letting the weight of the freezer lay on the angle iron. think of a metal bed frame, except going all the way around, instead of having some of the beams go underneath.

this is a pretty damn good idea :rockin:, i don't recall seeing anyone else do this (i could be wrong, there are a mess of keezer builds on here).
I might have to change my wood platform to this.

Back