The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a rag top would be great. just think, heading to Dismal World with the wind in yer hair. a tear has come to my eye ...

Renting a car.... Buying a car.... Manual transmission is hardly an option. Why? People are too lazy to drive.
I hate automatics.
Yeah.

I have a 99 Ford pickup that may just finally need to be replaced. Body rot is going to get it before it mechanically wears out.

It has a 6 speed manual. I put a clutch in it once because a valet tried to go up a parking garage in 3rd.

Automatic trannies in the same model truck are lucky to go 150k.

Looked at a new F250 to replace it this weekend.

Manual transmission is no longer an option.

Then you have the fact that my dad paid $23k for it at Silver City Ford in 1999.

Adjusted for inflation that's about $35k.

Can't get a diesel F250 for under $55k now.

Do any of you guys use Smart Devices, i.e. Echo, at home? I bought Alice one for Christmas and now I’m trying to figure out what to do with it. I feel like I might have been had, paying a couple hundred bucks for the device and plugs, etc to turn off light, instead of just getting off the couch and turning off the lights.

No, I still get off of the couch to turn off the lights, but it would be advantageous to access the home systems when traveling. Of course, when one reads about the family parrot making purchases on Amazon, it becomes clear there is a down side to having a gadget like that.

I've had home automation for a very long time. I kind of agree that the newer devices are kind of expensive but I find it useful. Then again I'm kind of a geek.

I've got Alexa(bought) and Google (free with a new phone). I use Alexa more probably because it was the first device I got. I like Google because you don't have to be within earshot of the speaker. You can talk to your phone. In the end I think they're equal.

I'm not worried about the big brother thing. Most of my devices that I have on during the night are connected to it including the tv. So when I'm burnt out and barely make it to bed I can just shut everything off.

I even have geofence enacted so when my phone is within a couple of hundred feet of home the lights and tv turn on as I arrive home and it unlocks the doors. When I leave everything gets turned off and locked.

You can group your devices so as it gets late at night and I just want to crash, I'll say turn on bedroom lights. Turn off all lights. Set alarm for 7:00am tomorro.

I use it alot to:
- stream podcasts of radio shows (less commercials). You can also play the radio
- set the alarm clock. I bet your schedule changes alot being a nurse. Plus if your fighting nap time you can say set alarm for 20minutes
- hooked up to my receiver to stream music. Mostly the free music library you get with Amazon prime
- It's fairly good at playing music outside too or streaming bluetooth to other devices. It's less obtrusive.
- Good in the kitchen for music. Or you can have it recite recipes. Play, pause and rewind last instructions
- Odd search items "what's the spread of patriots game?" "When do the Bruins play" Weather and you can setup News for the morning
- There's also a "I've fallen and can't get up" feature. Where it will send a txt in case you need help. I could see this being useful as you get older.
- I haven't used the intercom feature but if there's another device in the house you can "call" and talk with the other person. You can also use it to make phonecalls.

I can see everything being connected in the future. Good or bad. Cars are getting more connected. You can unlock or start and warm your car. I could also see your phone incorporating these features without need for the speaker.

Sometimes I feel I'm the IT guy when things don't work. You can find good deals out there. I got my thermostats connected and a rebate made them free. I travel a lot so it's good to virtually checkin on the house. There's even water sensors for your basement.

Oh and you can also order pizza thru it. If you're ever in a pinch.

EDIT: most useful. Find my phone

Last edited:
Do any of you guys use Smart Devices, i.e. Echo, at home? I bought Alice one for Christmas and now I’m trying to figure out what to do with it. I feel like I might have been had, paying a couple hundred bucks for the device and plugs, etc to turn off light, instead of just getting off the couch and turning off the lights.

Fckuing beautiful.

It’s the best when I don’t even have to make fun of you and you just do it yourself.

Quiz time: where am I?
IMG_20180110_204843.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the advice. Those are the kind of places I like. Lots of unique places around here. If u have any other restaurants or pubs my ears are open

How's Red's next to there? That's on my list

Yeah.

I have a 99 Ford pickup that may just finally need to be replaced. Body rot is going to get it before it mechanically wears out.

It has a 6 speed manual. I put a clutch in it once because a valet tried to go up a parking garage in 3rd.

Automatic trannies in the same model truck are lucky to go 150k.

Looked at a new F250 to replace it this weekend.

Manual transmission is no longer an option.

Then you have the fact that my dad paid $23k for it at Silver City Ford in 1999.

Adjusted for inflation that's about $35k.

Can't get a diesel F250 for under $55k now.

Buy a Ram

Back