help with raspberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I started a raspberry wheat kit from ahs on x-mas eve. Everything went well and its bubbling away. The kit came with raspberry flavored extract. I have heard mixed reviews on the raspberry flavoring and wondered if real fruit would be better. Anyone have experience with fruit or fruit extract?

Real fruit will give you a great flavor but it is definitely more messy, more expensive and takes longer before you can bottle because you will have to secondary for weeks or months (depending on how long it takes).

On the other hand, extracts have a metallic/medicinal flavor for a long time. I made a raspberry wheat about a year ago with the extract. For several months after bottling it didn't taste very good. Eventually that metallic/medicinal flavor dissipates and it mellows out into a good flavor. It is cheaper and much easier to deal with.

So it depends on which one of those sounds better to deal with.

Hi M, congratulations on the gift. I've used fruits and fruit purees when I've added fruits to beers and mead and don't have any direct experience with extract. But, if the kit came from Austin Homebrew Supply, they make quality products and I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Also, you could send Forrest at AHS an email - he could give you some advice on the kit, too.

I need to make another fruit beer soon, its been too long!

Can I just use frozen berries and give them a quick boil to make sure they are pasturized? How much fruit would work for a 5 gallon batch without over powering the beer?

I made a blackberry wheat by fermenting the wheat by itself and purchasing 1 1/2lbs of frozen berries. I purreed them and threw it in the secondary. Its been 3 weeks and its still not clear, but its getting there... id rather use real fruit over extract anyday.

I've used frozen raspberries, but never used an extract so I can't give you a comparison. I'd say go ahead and make the kit per the recipe. You can always make another batch with fresh or frozen berries. But I agree with Verio about using 1.5 lbs for a 5 gallon batch. I used 2.25 lbs for a 3 gallon batch and I thought it was too much. My brew turned into a beer flavored raspberry drink. I was good, just not what I was trying for.
If you go with frozen berries, boiling is optional. I didn't boil mine. It's probably a good idea though.

Back