Who Brewed beer for Christmas!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I did a Spiced Brown Ale (apples in secondary, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in the boil) but this year I got lazy. That said I'll still try to brew it this year (maybe next week) and enjoy it the next Christmas, might be a tradition if this works out.

I've considered making a "Three Kings" beer too, flavored with frankincense, myrrh (or maybe some other tree resin substitute) and Kent Goldings hops (lol get it, Gold!)

Christmas is my favorite!

I made a Chocolate Peppermint Porter...

2010-12-11_12-57-28_627_edit0.jpg

Red foil has green caps and pipe cleaners... Green foil has red caps and cleaners...

2010-12-11_13-22-10_327.jpg

22 oz bottles and a Hershey chocolate candy cane on every bottle... The dorky ornament with me in 1980 is not included :D

2010-12-11_13-23-57_909_edit0.jpg

Our white mantle and silver stocking weight made for a sexy "marketing" shot, lol....

Merry Christmas!!!

Christmas is my favorite!

I made a Chocolate Peppermint Porter...

2010-12-11_12-57-28_627_edit0.jpg

Red foil has green caps and pipe cleaners... Green foil has red caps and cleaners...

2010-12-11_13-22-10_327.jpg

22 oz bottles and a Hershey chocolate candy cane on every bottle... The dorky ornament with me in 1980 is not included :D

2010-12-11_13-23-57_909_edit0.jpg

Our white mantle and silver stocking weight made for a sexy "marketing" shot, lol....

Merry Christmas!!!

Dude, that looks amazing! I was checking out the recipe, and was wondering if you could clarify the mint addition for me.

Does that mean that you made a "Tea" out of 10 mint leaves of actually used a mint flavored tea bag?

OMG DD! Those look great! Pm me if you need my address.

I have a cranberry orange spiced ale that will be getting forced carbed VERY soon...

Brewed one a few days ago with 14 lbs of British Pale malt, 2 lbs of 90 lovibond chrystal and a half pound of chocolate. An ounce each of cascade, nuggets and goldings with 1388 yeast. Crappy yield at 1.082 at about 5 gallons but I'm guessing it should finish 1.022 ish. Chugging away in the basement. I'll filter and force carbonate to 2.40 ish. Should bring on some Christmas Cheer.

Dang, you sure know how to make a guy feel inadequate. I brewed an extract kit from Midwest called Happy Holiday Brew and put it into their "Nitnany Ale" blue colored bottles on November 9th.

I brewed up a spiced IPA on Thanksgiving so that it would be ready for Christmas. It's a pretty solid IPA, tasted the sample while kegging last night - just the right balance of hop twang and holiday spices.

OMG DD! Those look great! Pm me if you need my address.

I have a cranberry orange spiced ale that will be getting forced carbed VERY soon...

That sounds awesome... Nice combo! This morning I was eating clementines which made me start thinking about next year's Xmas beer....

Dude, that looks amazing! I was checking out the recipe, and was wondering if you could clarify the mint addition for me.

Does that mean that you made a "Tea" out of 10 mint leaves of actually used a mint flavored tea bag?

I got a box of Celestial Seasonings Peppermint Tea. There's a thread around here where Chriso recommends doing this. All it is is dried peppermint leaves in teabags, there is no actual tea leaves involved.

So with about 5 mins left in the boil, I teabagged (giggle) the beer... Dropped 10 bags in and let them steep for 5 mins, through chilling, and then I racked the beer into the carboy, leaving the bags behind.

The remaining 10 teabags, I soaked in vodka (just enough to cover them) for 2 weeks. I tasted the beer right before I bottled it and while the mint flavor and aroma was pretty darn nice with just the 10 steeped bags, I dumped in maybe an ounce of the peppermint vodka extract for good measure. That tasted pretty bangin, so I immediately bottled it.

Hope that helps, and THANKS CHRISO!!!

Back