I'm in Missoula visiting, Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTisch

Reaction score
I'm in Missoula, MT until Sunday (6-20-2010) and would like to know what beers you would recommend.

I know that there are three breweries here. Unfortunately I can't try every beer at every brewery. I would love to but I am visiting my fiance's family and don't want to embarass myself that much.

What do you suggest? Other than Moose Drool as it is already on my list.

Not sure what else is in Missoula, MT but I actually like Big Sky's IPA better than the Moose Drool.

I recommend trying the Kettlehouse Brewery. There are two locations in town and both serve pints. Check online or phone book for address/directions. From my experience it is the most favored by locals of the three. For sheer variety, you might also try the Rhino tavern on the corner of Ryman and Front Streets downtown. They have I believe 50 taps (much of it regional craft brew) even though it's a dive, and good prices. Worth a visit! There's also a fun Irish tavern/restaurant 1/2 block off of Higgins on Pine Street, called Sean Kelly's.

I feel the best I can do is steer you to places with great beer and atmosphere - you'll have to use BSP ("Beer Sensory Perception") to find a style and good example of it suited to yoru tastes, or ask the bartender for recommendations. I moved away too long ago to mention brews by name and you never really know what is the flavor of the month. FWIW, I used to favor Blackfoot IPA amongst the MT IPA's. There are lots of great beers to try in Missoula!

Also, two good stores to buy craft beer by bomber or 6-pack, Worden's (downtown near the end of Higgins Ave - also sells 12 oz. singles), and for prices the Orange Street Food Farm at Orange and S 5th E.

good stuff - so is the Kettlehouse IPA. My pleasure - I've spent more time than I care to admit out drinking in my hometown Missoula.

Agreed- Kettlehouse is fantastic! The IPA is phenomenal. Of the 3 breweries I know (Big Sky, Bayern and Kettlehouse), I have enjoyed kettlehouse the most. Try their Double haul IPA- outstanding. Eddie out is great too.

Klaus

Kettlehouse. Be sure to pick up as many of their 16 oz cans as you can hold. They're one of the best canned beers you can find.

If you see the Olde Bongwater Hemp Porter... GET IT! Their supply of hemp is touch-and-go depending on how prohibitionist the constabulary is feeling.

Plans changed and I was unable to make it to the breweries. I was however able to make it to the Rhino and try a couple beers. I had Flathead Lakes' Imperial IPA and Bayern's Maibock. Both were very nice. I also tried Lagunita's Wilco Tango Foxtrot. It was a very interesting brew. If you get a chance try them all.

Latest posts

Back