Suggestions on a specific recipe's dryhopping sched.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So I racked my London ESB to secondary last night, on top of 1/2 oz. of Kent Goldings pellets. My previous dryhopping experience left me with an oatmeal stout that tastes like ketchup and green olives, so I'm just trying to perfect this process. Here's my recipe, let me know how long you think I should leave her on the hops before re-racking...

London ESB

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.94
Anticipated OG: 1.059 Plato: 14.58
Anticipated SRM: 13.8
Anticipated IBU: 35.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.1 2.00 lbs. Briess DME- Extra Light America 1.046 8
20.1 2.00 lbs. Generic LME - Extra Light Generic 1.035 7
20.1 2.00 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt Great Britain 1.038 3
20.1 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
10.1 1.00 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.033 90
5.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
4.4 0.44 lbs. Generic LME - Extra Light Generic 1.035 7

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 14.00 29.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 2.9 20 min.
0.50 oz. Northdown Pellet 6.50 2.8 8 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1968 London Extra Special Bitter

jussabout 2 weeks. But, it was a stout, so there was bound to be issues with the hops conflicting with the richness. I'm still holding out hope that several months of bottle conditioning will result in a changed beer, though.

My daughter would love the ketchup stout, were she about nineteen years older.

Two weeks is the general rule of thumb and what I've tended to do. The off-flavors from dry hopping are usually "grassy," not "Heinz-ey." I think you'll be fine.

Incidentally, did you taste the stout prior to dryhopping? I would be shocked if the problems weren't already in the brew at the time you racked, although I don't know that I've ever heard of those particular flavors. Do you mean vaguely vinegary?

the_bird said:
My daughter would love the ketchup stout, were she about nineteen years older.

Two weeks is the general rule of thumb and what I've tended to do. The off-flavors from dry hopping are usually "grassy," not "Heinz-ey." I think you'll be fine.

Incidentally, did you taste the stout prior to dryhopping? I would be shocked if the problems weren't already in the brew at the time you racked, although I don't know that I've ever heard of those particular flavors. Do you mean vaguely vinegary?

Nah, it tasted just like a stout prior to dryhopping...it was slightly underhopped, which is why I dryhopped. This is entirely due to the hops. No doubt.

The flavors/aromas are very hard to explain. Not really vinegary. More like when you drink orange juice right after brushing your teeth....which is why I think it's just an issue of the acidity of the hops conflicting with the sweetness/richness of the stout.

Back