Flowers/Veggies Between Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any plants, flowers or veggies, that will grow well between hops? I'd love to somehow utilize the spare space...

Thanks

AT in CT

I've been considering a row of asparagus directly under the ridge cable, as the two rows of rhizomes are about 6 feet apart.

Although there is only the central bine above ground, the secondary root system of a hop plant is huge and close to the surface.

I had good success with Corn rows around my hops last year. I am planning the same this year.

I was just wondering the same thing yesterday. I'd love to be able to use that space for growing some veggies as well. I thought I read about a companion plant for hops somewhere...

I do yellow sqash,zucchini,lettuce under my horizontal lines. and one of my hops is growing in my tomato row. :mug:

its all good if you compost as much as I do. plenty of food for them all.

Here are the pics from my garden from the pic thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/2009-hop-garden-picture-thread-109536/

I have 4 different kinds of tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, onions, sweet peppers, hot peppers, red and green cabbage, collard greens, zucchini and parsley in my garden. The hops are around the perimeter of the garden.

I haven't had a problem. I compost just about everything I can (spent grains are fantastic for that and I also put them between the rows of veggies) and I check the pH, N, P & K at the beginning of the year.

Although there is only the central bine above ground, the secondary root system of a hop plant is huge and close to the surface.

This is why I have considered asparagus, you plant it really deep, and it stays in the row where you plant it. Also, after early summer, you let it go and it sorta fills in visually all that space under the trellis.

What about some beans for their nitrogen fixing capabilities?

I was thinking the same thing.

This is why I have considered asparagus, you plant it really deep, and it stays in the row where you plant it. Also, after early summer, you let it go and it sorta fills in visually all that space under the trellis.

I'm trying to sort this out in my head. No concerns about underground mingling?

What about some beans for their nitrogen fixing capabilities?

Dutch White Clover does the same thing but, it attracts bees (which I don't mind). It's commonly used for it's nitrogen fixing abilities as a rotational crop or as "green manure" in hop yards. It usually gets tilled in between seasons but, I haven't found any reference to say that it MUST be tilled in to be benificial. Perhaps I just haven't found it yet.

I have planted this in my yard, just to see. Runs about $9.00/lb for the seed and was sprouting within a week from hand casting.

Ah but you can't eat clover, er well, you'd rather eat beans. I like the idea of a dual purpose crop that can be harvested as well.

Interesting info on that sweet clover actually. Don't know how similar it is to the stuff invading my lawn but I'd want to make sure it didn't spread where I didn't want it.

do a little research before you plant garlic next to your hops. this doesnt seem like a good idea to me

do a little research before you plant garlic next to your hops. this doesnt seem like a good idea to me

Really? Care to elaborate.

I don't care either way but, even Freshops suggests Garlic plants;

"Planting borders of flowers such as African marigold, nasturiums and garlic plants will help deter the numbers in the early stages of growth."

Taken from their section on disease and pests. FTR, I tried it myself and while I didn't have any direct sign of infestation control, I also didn't have any sign of Aphids or Mites. Ironically, the following year I opted to NOT re-plant and nearly lost 2 plants to a late caught mite infestation.

This year, I opted again to not plant the Garlic but it is too early to say anything about mites. Fact is, I/we don't eat that much Garlic to justify planting that much of it.

I do yellow sqash,zucchini,lettuce under my horizontal lines. and one of my hops is growing in my tomato row. :mug:

its all good if you compost as much as I do. plenty of food for them all.

I grew cucumbers betwix my hops last year and they were effected by a mildew that also took hold of my squash in another bed. I caught it before it spread to more than a few of the hop leaves, but am quite sure it would have continued if left unchecked.

This year I, only doing some early season crops... spinach, lettuce and green onions, once i harvest these in a few weeks to a month from now, I'll put nothing else there until after the hops are harvested.

Reeeeally? I just happen to have some garlic I was going to plant in the next few days! :D

My understanding is that garlic ought to be planted in late August - early October and that it needs to winter, the clove forms buds which then grows into the garlic bulb you get the next summer. I recall an uncle growing garlic - planting in the spring and harvesting in the fall and the yield was inconsequential.

On the other hand, i have read numerous articles, blogs, posts, etc about its ability to ward of pests - no first hand evidence here though. Cant understand why you wouldn't want to plant it near hops, but if anyone has a link, i would love to know as I too am thinking of planting garlic with my hops this Autumn

I have also considered planting grapes and using the existing support poles to tie heavy wire to. They are relatively easy to grow, require only pruning back to coax new growth, and are ripe just before the hops would be.

The cost of quality concentrate for wine is a fortune, and grapes will produce heavily if treated even halfway decent. Concord, Catawba, Niagara all make great wine, and the taste is beyond belief, fresh off the vines.

50' of grapes would make a he!! of a pipeline.:)

Frankly, I say to he!! with vegetables, I can buy them easily in any season, but hops and grapes (and asparagus) are quite dear in price and availability.

Hmmm - thanks for all the responses. I have 6 pole lima plants ready to be transplanted outside as they are already 20" tall! I might try putting them in between as the the structure could get double duty.

Cheers

AT in CT

I've done flowers (marigolds and zinnias) and some herbs (Basil, cilantro as was mentioned before). Never done veggies but I have a garden just for them.

As long as you have enough nutrients you'll be fine wioth whatever you plant.

Back