dry hopping with pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Its a day of firsts for me. First this morning i swirled my first starter, and now I am going to dry hopp, but I had a couple questions. 1. They are pellets, and I have an ale pail. Can I pour them through the air lock? 2. Its a full ESB kit that I got from my LHBS and it says to add them at 4-5 days after ferm has started. Will that give it a grassy after taste being that it is going to be in there for another 20 + days? If I dont add it today what would be a good point to add them so that I dont get the grassy taste, and still give the hopps enough time to make it to the bottom?

TIA:mug:

do you have another fermentation vessel...ie another bucket or carboy. If not then your going to have to wait until the fermentation is done (specific gravity stops changing) and then pop the lid to add the pellets, otherwise move to secondary. ...correct me if im wrong here but dryhop is after fermentation in secondary or in your case, in extended primary. You dont want to leave them in there for more than 2 weeks usually but some members on here have thrown hops in their kegs and forgotten about them and still ended up fine. Your choice.

I have a bottling bucket so I could rack to that and do a shorter primary. I would be pouring them into my primary, and would preferable do that so that the brew could stay on the yeast longer. I guess the next question would be... What is the min I can dry hopp that would get the hopp taste and get the hopps to the bottom? So that when I rack to my bottling bucket they wont get into the bottling bucket.

I have a bottling bucket so I could rack to that and do a shorter primary. I would be pouring them into my primary, and would preferable do that so that the brew could stay on the yeast longer. I guess the next question would be... What is the min I can dry hopp that would get the hopp taste and get the hopps to the bottom? So that when I rack to my bottling bucket they wont get into the bottling bucket.

Hey wait dont rack yet! Wait until its finished (usually 7-10 days). Take a gravity reading at around day 6 and then again in a few days and if it hasn't moved, transfer to another bucket. If you have ONLY one bottling bucket then transfer it, clean the primary vessel out, and transfer it back in. You dont want to POUR anything because oxidizing the beer reeks havoc. You can taste along the process of dry hopping to see if the flavor is as you would want. Around 6 days should give you significant flavor however more time will add more. Personally i never rush because hops are expensive, im poor, and i want the best beer possible. Hope that answers your question

Back