Quick help needed for my MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Working on converting a 5 gallon cooler to a MLT. Went out and bought all my parts, then noticed the edit about not using the stainless steel hose clamps.

The update recommends notching some food grade tubing. Would the tubing that is originally supplied with the threaded supply hose work for this?

Without looking, I think the update was to make sure you were getting ALL SS clamps. There are clamps out there that claim to be SS, but I believe the tightening bolts were not. I have clamps on mine and have yet to have a problem with rusting.

Yes that will work. I used a 7/8" water heater braid. Just need to build up vinyl tubing inorder to make a snug fit on the brass fitting. So I pulled out the inner vinyl tube of the water heater braid and cut lengths that were about 1-1.5". Put one on either end with a smaller diamter tube inside bought at lowes. No need really to pierce holes in the vinyl tubing since these pieces are so small when compared to the full length of the braid. But I did anyways. Then pierced the whole assembly with stainless steel wire and tied it around once to keep the braid from slipping of the vinyl tubes.

Flows clear as day, no stuck mashes, no tube floating and no line slipping off. Works great.:ban:

Cannot speak for all parts of the country but the stainless clamps at homedepot in Texas are all stainless steel.

The screw and band are both stainless.

I have noticed several online vendor selling them and unless they specify both band and screw then only the band will be stainless.

Cannot speak for all parts of the country but the stainless clamps at homedepot in Texas are all stainless steel.

The screw and band are both stainless.

Found the same here. Took a chance on the HD clamps and they're still perfect after 40 odd batches.

Back