Batch Sparging --> Modifying Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I have read a few posts where people compensate for the reduction in efficiency when batch sparging by increasing the total grain. Is this a common practice and is it really necessary? I guess I'm more concerned with the fact that if I use someone else's recipe that I found on these forums (just as an example), how do I know what sparge method they used and if I need to modify the recipe for batch sparging.

TIA,

John

I've never heard that before. What I always do is just adjust my recipe for my own efficiency. Batch sparging or fly sparging doesn't matter at all.

If the recipe is written for 75% efficiency, and your efficiency is 68%, you'll want to adjust the recipe no matter how you sparge. Or, vice versa.

Maybe that is how it works Yooper and I was injecting my own thoughts. It is based solely on efficiency. That makes a hell of a lot more sense! :)

Thank you for setting me straight!

John

FYI...here is one of the articles I was referring to (straight from the Beersmith website): http://www.beersmith.com/batch_sparging.htm

"Do allow about 5% more grain the first time you use this method as you may have slightly less efficiency compared to fly sparging. Or on your beer software set the efficiency to about 72% instead of 75% and the program will tell you the malt bill you need to reach your specific gravity."

FYI...here is one of the articles I was referring to (straight from the Beersmith website): http://www.beersmith.com/batch_sparging.htm

"Do allow about 5% more grain the first time you use this method as you may have slightly less efficiency compared to fly sparging. Or on your beer software set the efficiency to about 72% instead of 75% and the program will tell you the malt bill you need to reach your specific gravity."

Well, that IS a good idea. Not that it's because of the fly sparging/batch sparging though, in my mind. I think expecting 70% or so in your first AG batch is just a good idea- if you're lower, that's ok. If you're higher, that's ok. But to get higher than about 72% in your first AG batch isn't likely for most people.

Dialing in your own efficiency is always hard the first few times. With my "new" system, I was all over the place- from 66% to 88%! Planning to hit a reasonable figure like 70% lets you make adjustments if you miss your guess.

It's typical that new all grain brewers have slightly lower efficiencies, not based on the sparge method. In fact, I think it's easier to screw up a fly sparge for the first time though volume based screw ups with batch sparging is also possible.

Bottom line, most recipes assume 75%. Just add an extra pound of whatever the base grain is and call it a day.

Back