Alternative Grain Beer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Terrapin Rye Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Rehydrate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 70F
Tasting Notes
See below
This was inspired by a Brewing Network interview on 5-18-08 of Spike Buckowski of Terrapin Beer.

All the components are on their website. The malt percentages are straight from the interview and the hops amounts were from a BN listener clone.

Differences:
-I used Bravo for the bittering, it is what I had, they use Magnum.
-I used US-05 for convience. They use Wyeast 1272 (see interview here).

Picture3.png

Process:
-I mashed at 154F with about 1.25 qts/lb. Mashout and sparge at 170F.
-Fermented at 67F.
-After about 14 days I racked to a secondary (didn't have a keg open), added gelatin.
-After about a week I added 1 oz of Amarillo pellets. Let those sit for 10 days.
-Kegged and force carbonated to 2.5 volumes.

Tasting note:
-Color is spot on. Mine is still a little hazy since it has only been cold in the keg for a week.
-My version has a bit of a stronger hop noise and more intense hop flavor. I am pretty sure that if I got a fresh bottle to compare it would be pretty darn close.
-This is an excellent pale ale. Great warm-weather, refreshing beer. Very complex hop and malt flavor with enough background rye to really add a crisp, spicy finish.

OK, which one is it?
100_3000-1.jpg

Like Terrapin Rye? Want to try it? Brew this!

I have this same beer force carbing in a keg right now. My hops are a little different than yours though, I used Target for my bittering hop. I brought a sixer back from Florida so I could try a side by side comparison. I really like Terrapin's rye so I have high hopes for mine. Yours looks good, I'm going to tap mine asap.

You're speakin my language. I love the Terrapin Rye and drank many pints of it in Athens. I will put this on my "to brew" list...:mug:

Brewing this one today. I forgot to get the Amarillo for the dry hops but I have a week or so for that. I love Terapin's Rye Pale and I hope to make the brewery tour when my daughter starts back at Georgia this fall. Thanks for posting the recipe Beerrific.

Oops! Forgot to start heating my sparge water so I am going to have an extra long mash time.

I brewing this today. Thanks for the recipe. I'm doing two 5 gallon batches. Made a few slight changes:

Batch 1:

9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.00 %
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.25 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.6 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU

Batch 2

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.23 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.77 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.25 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.3 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU

Any thoughts on how these will come out?

Thanks,

Chris

Give this a try. You will need to preform a partial mash to convert both the munich and rye. Just mix all the crushed grain together in your bag and steep with about 1.5qts/lb. at around 150F for 30-45 minutes. Rinse with some warm (~170F) water.

Picture1-10.png

I plan on brewing this in a few weeks with a few slight tweaks to the hop schedule based on what I have on hand (Cent for Cascade). Would you alter this at all based on the CYBI it recipe that came out? Or is it already close enough?

I have not updated it since the CYBI came out, but IIRC it was very, very close. There might be a slight tweak in amount of hops, but I think that would be it. Spike had already done an interview on The Brewing Network before the CYBI where he gave the recipe. That is what I based this off of.

I ordered this recipe from brewmasters warehouse, and i was thinking of doing FWH with the 1 oz of goldings! I've never tried FWH but i think it would work with this recipe,what do you think?

I am attempting my first all grain batch tomorrow and using this recipe!

I have a few noob questions.

I am doing a 2.5 gal batch and have downloaded the trial version of promash and am trying to wrap my head around all the data. my grain bill is 6.77 lbs and my main concern is nailing the water amounts for the mash, mashout, and sparge. As of now I am planning on mashing with about 2.11 gallons and batch sparging with about 3 gallons. Is this anywhere close to what is needed?

I am sure the needed information is somewhere on the database and I have been searching nonstop but things are starting to run together and get confusing so I just wanted to get my head straight. Thanks!

Brewed this up this last weekend. Had to use Columbus instead of Bravo, and WGV's instead of EKG's. Being a big fan of Terapin rye I can't wait to try this beer. I'll be sure to post when I have some results.

Hey guys I ordered a Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone off of AHS, and it came with 2 oz of armarillo to dry hop. Do you think I should just dry hop with 1 oz like this recipe says, or the 2 oz that I have?

The Can You Brew It recipe, which should be the exact recipe scaled down, calls for about 1.25 oz of dry hop. When I made it, I thought 1 oz was enough and probably stronger than the stuff I compared it to. Hop aroma is the first thing to drop of when a beer sits on a store shelf. So, if you want it to match the Terrapin you get, probably go with 1 oz. Or do the 2oz and see how it changes over time.

The Can You Brew It recipe, which should be the exact recipe scaled down, calls for about 1.25 oz of dry hop. When I made it, I thought 1 oz was enough and probably stronger than the stuff I compared it to. Hop aroma is the first thing to drop of when a beer sits on a store shelf. So, if you want it to match the Terrapin you get, probably go with 1 oz. Or do the 2oz and see how it changes over time.

I will probably go ahead and do something like 1.25-1.5 oz of amarillo for the dry hop. I don't want it to be over kill. Thanks.

Kegged this a week ago. The sample tasted promising, I haven't had Terapin in a while but it definately tasted similar from what I remember. Another week or so on the gas and I'm ready to do a side by side. I will be sure to post my results.

Kegged this a week ago. The sample tasted promising, I haven't had Terapin in a while but it definately tasted similar from what I remember. Another week or so on the gas and I'm ready to do a side by side. I will be sure to post my results.

How many oz of amarillo did you dry hop?

I'm brewing this tomorrow. I had to make a few changes to the hop varieties due to LHBS not having Golding. I went with Bramling Cross and scaled back the bittering hop to .3oz @ 60min to compensate for the 7.4AA of the Bramling Cross. The terrapin website says their IBU's is 35 and with the .3oz of Warrior at 60min I'm just at 36.6. I like my beers a bit bitter so I'm not too worried. I'm going to dry hop with 1oz of Amarillo. Anymore and this would seem like a IPA rather than a pale ale.

Back